CB transmits but doesn't receive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB transmits but doesn't receive

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
GardenGnome5
1996 XJ Cherokee 

CB transmits but doesn't receive

So I was all set for my last wheeling trip. Met with the people I was going with and we agreed on channel 5 for communications. switched to the channel and proceeded to test... and nothing. I called up another rig on my phone and they said that they could hear me clear as day. I was trying to tune my CB all day but since I'm a complete newbie with CBs I had no idea what I was doing.
Anyone have any ideas of why I couldn't receive anything?

Thanks, Gnome.

Coal Region 4x4
GardenGnome5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
BeerMe
1975 CJ5 

It's better to give than to recieve.

What CB band and model do you have?
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

was your squelch all the way up or was your volume all the way down
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you get any noise from the speaker at all...even when turned on initially? Could have a blown speaker but above post is highly likely whats wrong.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
GardenGnome5
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Cobra 29 LTD.

Volume was up, squelch was tried in various positions. I didn't even get static when adjusting the squelch.

And it's not the speaker unless the internal and external speaker are blown because I tried them both.
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

take it to a cb tech and get a recieve alignment. how old is this radio?
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

turn your rf gain knob all the way to the right is it turned left currently.
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check your Owners Manual ( http://www.cobra.com/Manuals/29LTDCLASSIC_MANL.pdf ) and make sure all the knobs and buttons are set correctly. Especially the PA/CB button and the CH 9 monitor button.

Did you look at the meter when the others were using their CB's ? You should see the needle on the S meter bounce back and forth when someone is transmitting.

The most common reason for a CB to receive transmitted signals but not have any sound output is a defective microphone or a mic wiring problem. If the mic in not connected, it is broken, or you have a broken/disconnected mic wire, the internal speaker will not function.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
GardenGnome5
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure how old it is. My dad gave it to me from his big rig but I don't know how long it was in use before that.

The RF knob was tried all the way up and all the way down and every position in between.

CJ7-Tim: When people tried to talk to me, the meter needle would bounce around, I just didn't get any sound. You think I should try a new mic?
Unread 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Firedog13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not trying to hijack, but I am having the same problem with my Jeep/radio. Good output but doesnt receive. Needle does move though when others key up. Recently had the radio peaked and tuned and the mic wiring re-done. Tried a different antenna (magnet base that was originally with the radio on a different vehicle) but nothing still. So I took the radio and plugged it into my truck in place of that CB. Everything works great. Back in the Jeep and can't get it to receive. I've pulled the coax out and will replace it next week. Did notice some worn areas on the outer coating. I'll be replacing it at the radio shop so as to learn from the experts.

I'll post up again once I make a trip to the radio shop. Hopefully things will be all squared away by then.
Unread 01-29-2011, 02:57 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGnome5 View Post
When people tried to talk to me, the meter needle would bounce around, I just didn't get any sound. You think I should try a new mic?
You could try a new mic or have a CB shop look at the original one. Not all Cobra mics work on all Cobra radios. If you find a replacement mic, make sure it is for your specific model of Cobra CB.

Just and additional thought, if the mic is not original to the CB, open it up and see if it has a battery inside. It might or or it might not.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check Mic, also when you plug in an external speaker it disconnects the internal circuit. If an external speaker doesn't make any noise, revisit mic wiring or try another mic. Good luck.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
GardenGnome5
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just in case anyone was wondering, I found the culprit and fixed it. there was a wire that had broken on the connector for my mic. re-soldered it and it was good to go.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.