CB Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB Tips

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Idahomie

CB Tips

I'm going to be putting a CB into my TJ and wanted to see if anyone had any good tips before I get started?

Thanks,

God Bless,

Jason

Idahomie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
EvilSpock
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Get a cheap one. It may not be in there too long. Mine wasn't.
http://4x4ham.com
EvilSpock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
pasadena
1999 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on the cheap one
pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought a Uniden on Amazon.com for like $26 shipped.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
anebrich

Welcome neighbor...where 'bouts in Idaho do you live?

As far as the CB goes click here for a good post!

Also welcome to the forum and hopefully nobody bashes you too hard for posting this in the Tech section when it should be in this section...
anebrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Idahomie

I bought a uniden for $10.00 at a garage sale

Any install tips....

JH
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
Idahomie

Anebrich,

I'm in Coeur d'Alene....how r things in the Treasure Valley?

JH
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
Idahomie

BTW thanks for the links.
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #9
the_ronster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

mount it inside your console and run an external speaker.
RE 3.5 Super Flex, Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks and Steering Stabalizer, RE Hack & Tap SYE, AA CV Drive Shaft, ARB Compressor, ARB Front and Rear Lockers, 35x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, Custom Fabbed Bumpers, ORFAB rear tire carrier/ gascan holder, Superior 4.88s, and Heated Seats

the_ronster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #10
Idahomie

Do you just run the cable under the carpet? I was going to run the antena cable out of the hole for the third brake light that I removed.

JH
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
swany6mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ronster
mount it inside your console and run an external speaker.

Or you could use some quick disconect mounts. Not sure where to get any off the top, but I had a scanner that had them and my father uses them all the time. He's a HAM raido operator, so his stuff costs just a LITTLE bit more than ours so he has them for his smaller radios. Between that and quick disconnects for the power/ground, you'll be set. That's my plan for when I get my setup. Put it in when I hit the weekend, take out it during the week.
swany6mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have one that plugs in to the cigarette lighter. That way I don't have to leave it in unless I am on a wheelin' trip. I just run the antenna cable out the bottom corner of the zipper on the back window. Keeps thieves away by quickly unplugging it and taking it inside.
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Two good quality but still inexpensive CB radio recommendations, both from Uniden: Pro510XL and Pro520XL. The only worthwhile feature the more expensive Pro520XL offers over the Pro510XL is that it has a PA (public address) function that only needs an external speaker. Either would be a sound choice without breaking the bank.

Do take care on putting the antenna mount together and mounting it properly. Most problems with new CB installations can be traced to an improperly assembled (like forgetting to install the nylon insulating washer included with most antenna mounts) mount or not having mounted the mount next to bare metal that the paint has been scraped away from to give a good electrical ground so necessary for the antenna to work well. And pay no attention to any recommendations you may see that say you should use exactly 18' of cable. That's an old untrue myth. Use whatever length antenna cable you need. Finally, power the new CB directly from the battery to reduce the likelihood of noise that is present at places like the cigarette lighter and many of the fuse box locations.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #14
anebrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahomie
Anebrich,

I'm in Coeur d'Alene....how r things in the Treasure Valley?

JH
Not bad, not bad. I was just at the C'dlane Resort last Friday (4 days ago - now I'm in Tulsa, OK!).

And you're welcome for the links...

g'night!

P.s. listen to Jerry in post number 13...
anebrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Two good quality but still inexpensive CB radio recommendations, both from Uniden: Pro510XL and Pro520XL. The only worthwhile feature the more expensive Pro520XL offers over the Pro510XL is that it has a PA (public address) function that only needs an external speaker. Either would be a sound choice without breaking the bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford

Do take care on putting the antenna mount together and mounting it properly. Most problems with new CB installations can be traced to an improperly assembled (like forgetting to install the nylon insulating washer included with most antenna mounts) mount or not having mounted the mount next to bare metal that the paint has been scraped away from to give a good electrical ground so necessary for the antenna to work well. And pay no attention to any recommendations you may see that say you should use exactly 18' of cable. That's an old untrue myth. Use whatever length antenna cable you need. Finally, power the new CB directly from the battery to reduce the likelihood of noise that is present at places like the cigarette lighter and many of the fuse box locations.

Buy only top of the line Antenna and Coax; do not go to Rat Shaq for either.

Wilson makes great Antennas but a lot of people use the Firestik Antenna and I have heard of one called 'Everhart" that I will be trying when I get my next antenna.

Coax... buy only one of two manufacturers’, Belden RG-8X or Times MicroWave LMR240, both are high quality coax.

As Jerry said, "buy only enough coax to get from your CB to the antenna mount".
Allow for NO sharp corners and a mistake or two finishing the end off.
If possible buy a length of coax with one PL259 Connector on it already and you need to finish one end.

My only thoughts are:

Use an Antenna Mount that uses Ring Lugs and use ring lugs on the coax.

Run an extra ground cable from the antenna mount to the body/frame of the vehicle.

Run an extra ground wire from the rear of the CB Chassis to a good ground point.

Get your antenna tuned for lowest SWR after install.

Run both the red and black wire (power and ground) from the back of the rig to the battery for power and fuse at least the red wire close to the battery.

An External Speaker will help in most cases to hear.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.