CB radio choice feedback, another CB question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB radio choice feedback, another CB question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
A couple of the mounts show a stud mount, others don't... I'd verify whether the mount you choose includes the required stud mount. Of all those mounts, I'd go for the Teraflex mount... 2nd from the right... which is one that doesn't specifically show that it includes a stud mount.
I sent them an email, but I also now see that a stud mount isn't pictured. If it doesn't, I would think that I will need this, correct?
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb...nt-pl-259.html

Also, did your radio come with a mount? I want to mount mine under the dash of the CJ, right under where the regular stereo goes. Or do I also need to buy this?
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/un...g-bracket.html

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

New CBs come with a mounting bracket. And yes for sure you need that antenna stud mount. I'd be surprised if they don't include one since they are selling what is supposed to be a complete kit, have you tried calling them?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
New CBs come with a mounting bracket. And yes for sure you need that antenna stud mount. I'd be surprised if they don't include one since they are selling what is supposed to be a complete kit, have you tried calling them?
Thanks man. I just received this reply from them:

"Thanks for the email. All fiberglass antenna needs an antenna stud to be mounted; so yes, you will definitely need an antenna stud. But don't worry because everything that you will need to install your system is already included in the package. We always make sure that our customer gets all necessary components that is mainly the reason why we create the kits; so that customers will get all the parts needed.

Thanks for doing business with us Patrick and we hope to work with you again!

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Kay Salomeo"

They really are nice people there. I have asked them questions and they always get right back to me. It is nice that the kit is complete and everything is included.

Now I just have to figure out how to mount the thing under the dash. I just ordered a retro sound radio, and that will be going in the stock dash cut outs. The CB will be mounted right underneath the radio.
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Already answered. Oops
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
n8nsn

Unread 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
VegasNick

What I do for most of my customers is install the 4ft Firefly (much lighter and flexible than the orginal Firestik) which I have yet to see broken on a tree, and a Quick Disconnect for putting them in the garage.

I like the Terraflex spare tire mount and most of the people I install for seem to go with them. Where we wheel in the desert, I do see performance differences in the 2ft and 4ft. Moreso on the FJ than the Jeep though.
VegasNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

^Thanks for the pictures. I don't think that antenna was a choice in that kit I was getting. It was either the FS or a Wilson I think.
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #23
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

So here it is. I finally got the CB installed this past week, along with a new radio and speakers. I am very glad I went with the 3 ft antenna. I don't know if you can see in the pictures, but there is a little over an inch of space between the garage door and the top of the antenna. The jeep goes right in to the back garage without issue. The CB is the 520XL. I had my buddy do the install and tune. I haven't really used it yet. The only complaint I have so far is that they little clip that holds the mic to the side of the radio doesn't tighten up. The little screws just spin. So, the clip is just loosely mounted. Kind of annoying, but no big deal. I was thinking of mounting it somewhere else, but I can't think of a good spot.

Unread 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
socaldaveh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Now look into ham radios and a license!

I generally think of CB's as car to car on trails. Ham raidos on the other hand generally have more power (50w) and have the benefit of repeaters which can literally give you world wide coverage. Getting the license is not hard btw, just keep taking the practice tests until you consistently pass.
You can read about jeeps all you want, but if you take a jeep that you don't love out on the trail, she'll shake you down just as sure as the the turning of the world. Love keeps her going when she ought to break down, tells you she's hurting before she dies. It's a jeep thing, you probably won't understand.
socaldaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

So my CB works great, but due to where it is mounted, it is hard to hear. I was thinking of getting an external speaker for it. Do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking of something small like this:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/co...t-speaker.html

And maybe mount it right under the radio.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.