CB radio choice feedback, another CB question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB radio choice feedback, another CB question

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

CB radio choice feedback, another CB question

So my mom was asking what I wanted for Christmas for the Jeep, and I decided on this:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/un...ad-cb-kit.html
I was going to go with the Uniden Pro 520XL, Firestik FS 4 foot, and the teraflex tail light mount for the passenger side. It doesn't say if the antennae is tunable, but I would assume it is.

So what do you think? The only issue I have is that I don't have much room left to fit in the garage without a big CB antennae. So, would you go with a quick disconnect or a spring?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/fi...isconnect.html

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/fi...na-spring.html

There is also a mount like this, but it is pretty expensive
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_50.htm

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have that radio and a 4' Firestik and it won't fit in my garage. If you wheel around trees they will break it off because it doesn't flex. I got a 3' Everhardt flexible I use when I wheel and it will just fit under the garage door.
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
I have that radio and a 4' Firestik and it won't fit in my garage. If you wheel around trees they will break it off because it doesn't flex. I got a 3' Everhardt flexible I use when I wheel and it will just fit under the garage door.
I have the 4ft version of the Everhardt and it is very flexible. I also have it mounted onto a spring. It has been a great antenna for me and performs really well. I tie mine down to fit in the garage.

I have broken (ripped up the tips)a couple fire sticks over the years. The fire sticks I have had have been more ridged. Fire stick may make a more flexible antennas than the ones I have had. Many here seem to like fire sticks.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If your using this for wheeling and for most com, you do not need the extra length. In most cases. ESP if you have a soft top and no large metal objects near the antenna area. A 2 ft antenna will perform well though be a bit harder to tune. You just make smaller Adjustments. A three foot with no spring is what many use on the tail light mount.

And I'd go with the 520xl.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

So I just took a tape measure out to see what would happen with either a 4 foot or 3 foot from the tail light. A 3 foot would work no problem. It's about as high as the soft top. A four foot would require a disconnect or something. I was told a four foot is the way to go for tuning.
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy2003 View Post
So I just took a tape measure out to see what would happen with either a 4 foot or 3 foot from the tail light. A 3 foot would work no problem. It's about as high as the soft top. A four foot would require a disconnect or something. I was told a four foot is the way to go for tuning.
I have a loop so I can tie down my 4 foot antenna if needed or I can tuck it under then rear flap on my soft top. It was easy to tune. I am not sure why a 4 foot would be any easier than a 3 foot to tune. When I am out on the trial it stands up, I only put it down when I am in and out of the garage or not using the CB. On the trail I keep it up. I can reach out better than other in my group, the Everhardt can take a beating compared to the fire sticks I had.

Unread 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had no problems tuning a 3'. I have no problems talking to who I need to with it either.
Unread 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
I had no problems tuning a 3'. I have no problems talking to who I need to with it either.
As long as your CB is setup correctly a 2 foot antenna would work better than along whip antenna not setup correctly. Tuning and grounding your antenna correctly are the most important thing when it comes to performance.

Unread 12-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the Firestick FS series of antennas are all tunable. To me, the 4' is too tall for that mounting location, I'd go no taller than the 3' and actually, I converted from my previous Firestick FS-3 to a FS-2 to clear my garage door. Both the 2' and 3' FS Firestick antennas tune fine, my 2' SWR is probably at about 1.2:1 which is very good. For offroad use, even the 2' works extremely well, I noticed zero performance difference offroad after converting from the 3' to the 2' Firestick which is a very good offroad antenna.

Take pains to correctly assemble & mount the antenna mount, particularly make sure the insulated shoulder washer that is part of the mount gets properly installed in the right location. When that shoulder washer is left out or is installed incorrectly, the antenna won't work properly & it will be impossible to tune the antenna to make it perform well. Its job is to electrically insulate/isolate the antenna itself from the the mount which is crucial to the antenna working properly.

Good decision on the Uniden PRO-520XL, that's a great radio that is pretty much bulletproof. I've had that exact radio in two different Wrangler TJs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Ok, so I just ordered it up. I went with the Uniden 520 XL, Firestik 3 foot, and teraflex passenger side tail light mount. I can't wait to finally have a CB. It should be great. Thanks for all the help.

I also got one of these:
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/260

I've never had a radio in the jeep before. Its going to be nice to have since I have been driving it more and more lately.
Unread 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Be aware you will (!) need to grind some of the powder coating off from the Teraflex mount for the mount's required ground connection so the antenna will work properly. Grind a small circle of powder coating away from the bottom of the mount around the antenna mounting hole so the antenna mount's washer & nut will touch bare metal. You'll need to make sure the Teraflex mount is also solidly/electrically connected to the tub by either grinding more paint/powdercoating away so it has a bare metal connection to the tub, or you'll need to connect the Teraflex mount to the tub with a braided ground strap.

The antenna will NOT work properly with the Teraflex mount if you don't grind the powder coating away so the ground connections can be achieved. I had another Jeep in my garage Sunday with a high antenna SWR problem and I traced it down to that exact issue... which has been an issue with Tera's antenna mounts since they started selling them.

Unread 12-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jerry is correct on the terra flex mount.
You will also need:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb...nt-pl-259.html
Borrow or buy:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/sw...per-cable.html

And read and understand these :
Power and ground the radio to the battery 'Period' antenna is different.
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Te...Continuity.htm

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the heads up. I've heard that about those mounts before. I hope the set-up works well. I don't see why it wouldn't. I am going to have a buddy, who is really good with CBs, help install it. I can't wait to finally have a CB and know what's going on while on the trial.
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA
Jerry is correct on the terra flex mount.
You will also need:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb...nt-pl-259.html
Borrow or buy:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/sw...per-cable.html
The kit doesn't come with a stud mount? I thought it had everything needed to install a working cb. I know it comes with a SWR meter.
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A couple of the mounts show a stud mount, others don't... I'd verify whether the mount you choose includes the required stud mount. Of all those mounts, I'd go for the Teraflex mount... 2nd from the right... which is one that doesn't specifically show that it includes a stud mount.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.