Cb radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Cb radio

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cb radio

This cb was in my jeep when I bought it but is missing the mic. I googled it and nothing came up. Is this worth using or should I get a new one?

image-247526323.jpg

Noclrnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
ctak24
1996 ZJ 

that's an export radio you got there. connex puts out some nice loud audio for sure! get a standard 4 pin mic and you're set
ctak24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

It's also an illegal radio, per the FCC. Isn't fit for ham use, and outright illegal for cb use. At the very least, you're going to need to learn how it works, so you know if you're really on channel 19, and not on the channel begging for a $10k fine.
Here is a good example of a similar radio, as they have expanded frequencies: http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-fines-a...using-cb-radio
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Illegal? If that's the case I think I'll get a different one. I don't need any trouble. Can some one suggest a good one? i kinda like the remote option of the cobra 75wxst....
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Cobra 29 and 19, Uniden equals of the Cobras, if you want a fancy radio, cobra 148 or a Uniden Grant. Now if you have a bug about radio, then perhaps I can steer you towards ham radio. We have beer and cookies....lol
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What is ham? Never heard of it.
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noclrnce View Post
What is ham? Never heard of it.
Oh my. Ham is a nickname for amateur radio operators. To be one requires taking a test(3 levels of licenses) and using different types of radios. They have the ability to talk around the world without aid of silly cell phones, etc, talk to the space station, transmit data, pictures, video, and so on. If you are out in literally the middle of nowhere like you find in places out here, there is no cell phone reception and you aren't likely to find someone on a cb close enough to hear you, or respond. With the right radios and some knowledge, you are never out of touch with anyone, anywhere on the planet literally. Others may chime in to add to what has been said. Also you may do some searching on here, and go to the arrl.org website.
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That actually sounds pretty cool. What kind of radios do you use?
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Kinds of radios, that's can be pretty indepth. There are vhf/uhf radios that the entry license gives you permission to operate on. They typically are FM, but there is also a data packet mode, and ssb(single sideband) mode that allows further transmissions that FM typically. There are HF(high frequency) radios that require having a higher license to use that typically use SSB, and AM, but also CW(for morse code) as well. That's what guys use to talk the world normally. There are radios that do all of that in one as well. Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu are the major players in the radio equipment.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.