CB Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
ArmyVet717
1996 ZJ 

CB Question

Have had my Cobra 29 Limited installed for a few weeks and yesterday, I noticed that when I key up my antenna light is no longer lighting up. I re-calibrated and am just around 0-1 on the SWR meter. Looked through the instruction manual and it does not say whether the light should come on or not when I key up. It did before, so now I am totally confused!
Thanks!

Unread 09-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ant light should not come on, it indicates your SWR is way off. The tx light should turn color/on.
hndswthtshdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you are using the SWR meter on the radio, they are not that good. Best they will tell you is if your in the ballpark or if your antenna system is shorted. Second I think you mean 1:1 not 0-1.
How are you checking SWR?
On the 29 there is a TX/RX light that should be green and change to pink or red when you press the PTT button on the mic.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
ArmyVet717
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
If you are using the SWR meter on the radio, they are not that good. Best they will tell you is if your in the ballpark or if your antenna system is shorted. Second I think you mean 1:1 not 0-1.
How are you checking SWR?
On the 29 there is a TX/RX light that should be green and change to pink or red when you press the PTT button on the mic.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
I only used the SWR calibration that is built in to the CB. My TX/RX light does go from green to red when keyed up. This afternoon I noticed that depending on my location (buildings or open area) my ANT light would come on. I am picking up people in Arkansas and Texas and everywhere in between, but I think I will get an external meter to see if it needs some fine tuning.
Thanks for the info!
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes the antenna light comes on when it senses a high SWR reading while transmitting. And closeness to buildings or tall structures will effect SWR.There is nothing you could do about the effects of buildings and tall structures. Just be sure when you set your SWR you are in an open area. There should be a little blurb about the light in the manual."Note Antenna Indicator LED will
illuminate when TX if SWR is high."
Is this turning on even when you are not transmitting?
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
ArmyVet717
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
Yes the antenna light comes on when it senses a high SWR reading while transmitting. And closeness to buildings or tall structures will effect SWR.There is nothing you could do about the effects of buildings and tall structures. Just be sure when you set your SWR you are in an open area. There should be a little blurb about the light in the manual."Note Antenna Indicator LED will
illuminate when TX if SWR is high."
Is this turning on even when you are not transmitting?
That I have noticed. When I am around buildings or in the "city", I get the light flickering... When I am on the highway it flickers every once in a while, but not bad. It does not flicker when not keyed up. Even in the city, it is not constant, it comes and goes...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.