CB Power interrupting Stereo Memory - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Stereos, CB & HAM Radios, GPS, & Electrical. > CB Power interrupting Stereo Memory

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK Teraflex JK/TJ Steering Stabilizer **DEALS**

Unread 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

CB Power interrupting Stereo Memory

I couldn't find a related post.

I installed my Cobra DXIV CB radio in my XJ and took power from the KEYED power from the Stereo System. I ran a dedicated ground to the firewall. Now, my Stereo does not hold memory. The Memory line is confirmed to have power, all fuses are good.

So the head unit is receiving memory power all the time, the only thing that changed was borrowing power out of the keyed line to bring to the CB. I already know that straight to the battery is a better connection, I had it on my YJ but kept forgetting it on overnight. I wanted a keyed power just like the stereo. I don't understand what was done wrong power wise, so somebody school me!

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Jeeperez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The logical solution is to use another switched circuit to power the CB.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
The logical solution is to use another switched circuit to power the CB.
What other switched circuit is there? Preferably with easy access to wire to

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Unread 02-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

There may be slots in the fusebox that are switched and always on. They may be marked, the ones on my 93 XJ are but a multi-meter or test light could confirm.
prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, poke around in the fuse box with a multi-meter or test lamp and find a switched circuit.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 02-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay thanks guys, i'll see what I can get.

In the meantime, can someone please explain to me what is wrong with the circuit I wired up originally? Doesn't make much sense for the radio to lose memory when the memory power stays connected. I only borrowed power from the keyed. Could it be the dedicated ground run to the CB? Would that somehow be grounding out the radio? Doesn't make sense to me

Unread 02-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bump for an explanation

Unread 02-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Sda1c
2004 WJ 

What others have posted is what needs to be done to fix but there are a couple of possibilities for the failures. I would speculate that the either the RF from the radio is interfering with the inner boards and chips of the radio or the voltage is dropping just enough with the key of the mic to foul the radios memory. If your SWR's are off you can cause all sorts of issues. Can you talk over the intercom at McDonalds? If so, and you don't have a linear amplifier, then you need to reset your standing wave ratio.
Sda1c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sda1c
What others have posted is what needs to be done to fix but there are a couple of possibilities for the failures. I would speculate that the either the RF from the radio is interfering with the inner boards and chips of the radio or the voltage is dropping just enough with the key of the mic to foul the radios memory. If your SWR's are off you can cause all sorts of issues. Can you talk over the intercom at McDonalds? If so, and you don't have a linear amplifier, then you need to reset your standing wave ratio.
The mic has never been keyed. It does it the moment I power it up via the ignition key. I'm gonna find an alternate source of power as soon as the weather cooperates.

I don't go to McDonald's but I'll grab my meter and check the SWR. Not sure if it's related or just how the CB works, the CB itself doesn't hold channel memory I guess you could call it that. When shut off and then on it always returns to Channel 1.

Unread 02-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Sda1c
2004 WJ 

If your not keying the mic I'd say the cb is draining all power from the memory circuit in the radio when the key is turned off. Isolation is best. have you tried a diode to limit back current? An LED in line will get you started....
Unread 02-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sda1c
If your not keying the mic I'd say the cb is draining all power from the memory circuit in the radio when the key is turned off. Isolation is best. have you tried a diode to limit back current? An LED in line will get you started....
I haven't tried anything inline, except for an inline fuse between the connection and the CB. I might try adding a diode before finding an alternate power source.

Unread 02-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
The_War_Wagon
2007 XK Commander 

As the CB forums all say - DRILL THAT HOLE!

Time to wire your CB direct to the battery, which makes more sense anyways. Find a safe spot in the firewall, drill your hole, and plug the open space around the wires with a generous helping of RTV when you're done!
Unread 02-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Sda1c
2004 WJ 

+1^. I'm installing my 2950dx now and there is no way I would consider finding any source beside the batt. But if you must- a diode my solve your problems. FYI If you happen to use a linear amplifier don't even consider an alternate source than direct to the battery.
Unread 02-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #14
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My original thinking was to keep the CB on the 'radio' circuit from the fuse box, and also to be switched with the key because I always forgot it on in my YJ.

Unread 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are multiple switched circuits in the fuse box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.