CB performance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB performance

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Highlander357
2005 TJ Wrangler 

CB performance

What is the range of a typical 4 watt Wrangler mounted CB? If that is not specific enough, I am leaning towards a cheap Midland base unit with a 4 or 5 foot firestick. Thanks.

JM

Unread 12-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
got_4_lo

i believe that it depends on good quality cable / connections / antenna / tunning more than the radio itself.... i also remember reading somewhere that based on terrain, range is 2 miles to 15 miles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
newjeeperguy

agree with 4 low in that it can be anywhere from 2 -15 miles depending conditions and terrain. But if your after all out range there are many better antenna's then a firestick. There are also many ways that your not limited to 4 watts too
newjeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

I personally do not like firestick.Wilson makes the best antenna's as far as I am concerned.Outperforms any (Firestick ) I have ever used
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 01:44 AM   #5
TJ-n-Oregon

Yep...I'd agree with the last couple of posts. There are many factors, but on average for a Firestik (4') you can count on roughly a few miles (depending on terrain & conditions). Where & how you mount the antenna plays a large role in performance, too. And like Chaotic, I'm not a Firestik fan either. I think for the same money (+/-) there are other antennas brands that will out perform them hands down. But if that is what you want, get it.

And yes, the radio modulation % plays a role, too. That's why I can't stand the all in one 75 units. They are so undermodulated, I have to sometimes struggle to hear the transmissions from guys using them. And you can't do anything about it. The Unidens I've checked do 80% mod (roughly) right out of the box. This is a good thing on distant transmissions...and can sometimes make the difference of making contact or not.

Just my $.02

'02 TJ Sport with a few mods
'95 XJ with a few mods'
TJ-n-Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #6
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-n-Oregon
Yep...I'd agree with the last couple of posts. There are many factors, but on average for a Firestik (4') you can count on roughly a few miles (depending on terrain & conditions). Where & how you mount the antenna plays a large role in performance, too. And like Chaotic, I'm not a Firestik fan either. I think for the same money (+/-) there are other antennas brands that will out perform them hands down. But if that is what you want, get it.

And yes, the radio modulation % plays a role, too. That's why I can't stand the all in one 75 units. They are so undermodulated, I have to sometimes struggle to hear the transmissions from guys using them. And you can't do anything about it. The Unidens I've checked do 80% mod (roughly) right out of the box. This is a good thing on distant transmissions...and can sometimes make the difference of making contact or not.

Just my $.02

100%
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Highlander357
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard some feedback on the Firestiks, any feedback on a brand of CB. 4 watt seems pretty standard, but how do you get more. I am not looking to talk to the moon, and am not looking to spend huge amounts of money.

JM
Unread 12-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
TJ-n-Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander357
I have heard some feedback on the Firestiks, any feedback on a brand of CB. 4 watt seems pretty standard, but how do you get more. I am not looking to talk to the moon, and am not looking to spend huge amounts of money.

JM
4 watts is the legal limit. And Uniden brand would be my first recommendation. Much of it depends on what and how many 'goodies' you want on your radio. For me, I can care less about weather band, channel 9 switch, and some other stuff. In my TJ I have a Uniden Pro510 w/ a power microphone. It's been tuned and aligned but still dead keys 3.5 watts. I've had no problem making some distant contacts with a barefoot unit. I'd suggest you try a legal radio set up first. It may be just fine for your uses. That way you won't be spending more money than you need to.

'02 TJ Sport with a few mods
'95 XJ with a few mods'
TJ-n-Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
amper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander357

JM
You can use a SSB (single sideband) unit, for which the limit is 12 watts. Other than that, you might want to look into a GMRS license (50 W max), or an Amateur Radio license (1500 W max). But then, GMRS is an FM mode service, whereas CB is AM or SSB, and propagation is a little different...

Oh, and range depends on a lot of things, like antenna design and atmospheric conditions (we're in a low sunspot cycle right now, so don't expect any long-distance skip for a few years), etc.--but there is a legal limit on how far you can communicate with a CB, the particulars of which I forget at the moment.
Unread 12-13-2005, 12:58 AM   #10
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Quote:
but there is a legal limit on how far you can communicate with a CB
I disagree with this statement (I am not an expert in CB regulation, but I have a couple FCC licenses). If I built and tuned a multielement beam, set it up on top of my house and hit it with four legal watts, it would transmit all the way to C.Bastards place, and it would still be legal. Antenna gain is where the gold resides. It's nearly free, it's totally legal, and it's efficient.

Feed line, especially cheap feed line can loose a huge amount of transmit power, just as bad as a crappy antenna.

sorry </rant>
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:06 AM   #11
kencaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgeddes
I disagree with this statement (I am not an expert in CB regulation, but I have a couple FCC licenses). If I built and tuned a multielement beam, set it up on top of my house and hit it with four legal watts, it would transmit all the way to C.Bastards place, and it would still be legal. Antenna gain is where the gold resides. It's nearly free, it's totally legal, and it's efficient.

Feed line, especially cheap feed line can loose a huge amount of transmit power, just as bad as a crappy antenna.

sorry </rant>
True. The FCC only limits transmitter power, but with a correctly tuned antenna and some "SKIP" you can reach hundreds of miles. Also higher is better but your local city regulations will probably limit that to about 2 stories...

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #12
amper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencaz
True. The FCC only limits transmitter power, but with a correctly tuned antenna and some "SKIP" you can reach hundreds of miles. Also higher is better but your local city regulations will probably limit that to about 2 stories...

KC
47CFR95.413 states:

(a) You must not use a CB station--
(9) To communicate with, or attempt to communicate with, any CB
station more than 250 kilometers (155.3 miles) away;
Unread 12-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
kencaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amper
47CFR95.413 states:

(a) You must not use a CB station--
(9) To communicate with, or attempt to communicate with, any CB
station more than 250 kilometers (155.3 miles) away;
You are correct! My bad... However, I don't think it has ever been enforced... like so many other CB/AR rules...

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.