cb mounting spots and cable length - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > cb mounting spots and cable length

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
kennyb

cb mounting spots and cable length

I have a cb and I put the antenna on my tailgate right behind my spare, now I was wondering where everyone else was putting their cb radios inside, I heard of some people putting them right under the vents for air condition. Right now I just have my sitting on the side of my drivers seat can't really hear it because the seat muffles the speaker. also I was wondering how much length of cable I should use, I heard of people saying don't use under 13ft cause it distorts the signal, but then again I read that you should use around 18ft or longer. I know I can run it under my tub as long as its not coiled up. let me know what you think or any suggestions

Unread 09-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have mine mounted where the ash tray use to be, I dont smoke, so it wasnt a problem.

As for cable length, hmm I've heard so many stories as to what length is better that I said the heck with it and went with 18'.

You can pick up a cheap external speaker at a truck stop or online to help you hear the CB better.
Unread 09-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

the proper length is whatever the distance from your antenna to your CB is...

for some "enlightening" reading, try this out:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/myth-1.htm

IF your CB has an external speaker output, that is definitely the way to go...the speakers usually run <$10...

I mounted my speaker directly above my head, tied to the rollbar "corner"...I run a Safari top or hard top all the time, so rain is no issue for it...

An external speaker was a MUST for me, as I can't hear the standard speaker at all, due to my mounting location:

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The 18' cable length recommendation propagated by some is nothing more than a hard-to-kill myth, really.

Use the amount of cable needed to make the connection and properly route it and that is all you need to be concerned with. If you want to use 18' because it came in that length but you need to coil up the excess, go for it... but the 18' length won't help performance in the least. In fact, though the loss is negligible at this length comparison, a 16' length would result in less loss than the 18', and a 10' etc., would give even less loss.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #5
slickwillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The 18' cable length recommendation propagated by some is nothing more than a hard-to-kill myth, really.

Use the amount of cable needed to make the connection and properly route it and that is all you need to be concerned with. If you want to use 18' because it came in that length but you need to coil up the excess, go for it... but the 18' length won't help performance in the least. In fact, though the loss is negligible at this length comparison, a 16' length would result in less loss than the 18', and a 10' etc., would give even less loss.
I just bought 12' of cable yesterday from a CB shop. The guy said length didn't really matter. It was just the right length to run from the tire carrier bumper on the pass rear to the cb under the middle of the dash.
slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is mounted in the glove box. It's worked well for me. Keeps it out of sight when not in use. You can check here for pictures:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286376895&idx=4

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.