CB Interference - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB Interference

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

CB Interference

I have a Cobra 29 lx in my rig and when I turn my rugged ridge led lights on I get significant interference. I'm assuming it is due to the way the lights are wired. They are wired to the original fog light switch on the steering column. I have a friend who has 4 of these lights and has no issue with them and the cb (he has the same cb).

I have the cb power source ran directly to the battery and grounded to the frame on the passenger side in the cab.

Any opinions what is going on? It's not a huge ordeal right now since i don't have any night runs planned anytime soon.

Thanks!

Unread 06-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use the original fog lamp switch to power a relay to run the lights. Your JEEP will thank you, and the CB probably will have less interference. Connect both the CB power and ground to the battery.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Use the original fog lamp switch to power a relay to run the lights. Your JEEP will thank you, and the CB probably will have less interference.

Hmmm.....I had a shop install them while they were doing my gears. So I'm not sure how they exactly hooked it back up to the original switch. I Should have done it myself.
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Use the original fog lamp switch to power a relay to run the lights. Your JEEP will thank you, and the CB probably will have less interference.
If they truly are LED, they probably draw so little current that it's not a concern. I'm curious as to how they wired them. However, adding a relay certainly can't hurt.

How did you run your Coax? It might be close to a hot wire, causing interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Try grounding the CB straight to the battery, and see what happens. That may be your issue.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Try grounding the CB straight to the battery, and see what happens. That may be your issue.
X2^ what he said
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
ctak24
1996 ZJ 

I know that the Cobra 29 LTD Classics have the ANL/NB on switch that you can turn on or off. Not too sure about the newer LX models. Make sure that the ANL/NB is on.
ctak24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctak24 View Post
I know that the Cobra 29 LTD Classics have the ANL/NB on switch that you can turn on or off. Not too sure about the newer LX models. Make sure that the ANL/NB is on.

Those are turned on.
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
X2^ what he said
I'll give that a try and see what happens! Thanks!
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
If they truly are LED, they probably draw so little current that it's not a concern. I'm curious as to how they wired them. However, adding a relay certainly can't hurt.

How did you run your Coax? It might be close to a hot wire, causing interference.
I think that the coax is fine. I have it running from the top of the roll cage down to the passenger side of the bed under the liner to the back. I wouldn't think that a wire running those front lights would be all the way back there.
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

First determine if the noise is transmitted or power/ground. To do this turn on the CB and disconnect the antenna from the back. DO NOT TRANSMIT but note if the noise is gone. If the noise stopped it is transmitted noise. reconnect the antenna.

If the noise didn't stop and only happens when the lights are on, improve the power and ground connections to the lights. If it is still an issue measure your SWR with an external meter and post the results.

If it did not go away improve the power and ground of the radio. To do this first step is power and ground directly to the battery.
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
ctak24
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
First determine if the noise is transmitted or power/ground. To do this turn on the CB and disconnect the antenna from the back. DO NOT TRANSMIT but note if the noise is gone. If the noise stopped it is transmitted noise. reconnect the antenna.

If the noise didn't stop and only happens when the lights are on, improve the power and ground connections to the lights. If it is still an issue measure your SWR with an external meter and post the results.

If it did not go away improve the power and ground of the radio. To do this first step is power and ground directly to the battery.
some people use CB coax to run the hot and ground wires to the battery using the center conductor as the hot lead and the outer braid as the negative lead. Supposedly this reduces interference through the radio. Never tried it though.

If the interference noise stops with the antenna unplugged, try grounding your tailpipe. I had major interference coming in through the antenna on my Camry and my radio tech told me to ground the tailpipe/exhaust because it can possibly act as an antenna radiating electrical noise coming from the engine.
ctak24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

He said it's only when he turns on his lights. But Yes the exhaust, fuel pump, even engine block/ ign system causes transmitted noise that is difficult to trace down. More likely on older vehicles.

As for the coax power is overkill and noise can come in through the ground just as easily as the power.

Tags
cb , interference , LED lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.