CB help mainly the antenna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB help mainly the antenna

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Gumbercules563
2013 JK Wrangler 

CB help mainly the antenna

Hey all,
I have searched this forum and the Internet.
Jeep info: 2013 Wrangler
I recently bought a midland cb and a Wilson 1000 antenna. After connecting the cb directly to the battery and the antenna on my license plate holder. My SWR is above 3. So I added a 10 gauge grounding wire from the antenna to a bolt holding my bumbler on. Better now I am just barely above 3. I was thinking I won't get anywhere ne'er 1.5 or less, I should be able to get below 2. So I spent the next hour making small changes to the tip length without getting any reading below 3. So.... What's up with this? Where is a the best place to ground the antenna on the back of my jeep? Any help would be great.

Gumbercules563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules563 View Post
Hey all,
I have searched this forum and the Internet.
Jeep info: 2013 Wrangler
I recently bought a midland cb and a Wilson 1000 antenna. After connecting the cb directly to the battery and the antenna on my license plate holder. My SWR is above 3. So I added a 10 gauge grounding wire from the antenna to a bolt holding my bumbler on. Better now I am just barely above 3. I was thinking I won't get anywhere ne'er 1.5 or less, I should be able to get below 2. So I spent the next hour making small changes to the tip length without getting any reading below 3. So.... What's up with this? Where is a the best place to ground the antenna on the back of my jeep? Any help would be great.
You need to ground to the main part of the body, bare medal, not anything that attaches to it such as fenders, doors, hoods bumpers etc. There can be payers of paint between things that mount to the body.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You'll need this reference. Good tech no matter what antenna you have. http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
This a base loaded antenna and performs best on the top of the vehicle. With the load near the jeep body the reflected power (SWR) will be high just due to the nearby metal body.
Also isn't the 1000 a magnet mount? Where did you mount it and where did you add the ground? How was the antenna wire run?
Some in focus fairly (3-4ft away) pics of the antenna would be great.
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Improper installation, and poor antenna selection are the root cause of your issues. Read the antennae selection and installation location info at www.Firestik.com, it applies to all brands and types of CB antennas.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The key is to make sure the antenna mount has a good ground to the vehicle, and the antenna is grounded properly to the mount. Or you may have a bad coax, but my money is on the antenna, mount, or both not being properly grounded.
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Gumbercules563
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. Once I am back to my jeep I will double check the grounding of the antenna. I am not the greatest electrition, but I am learning, so when I test to see if it is grounding correctly I touch the mount and and the frame the lower the number on the volt meeter the better the ground? The same goes for testing the coax cable. If the ground is not good run the ground wire to another part of the frame and/or ??? This seemed like it was going to be a fairly easy first addition to the jeep. why am I feeling that i have a big learning curve ahead of me?? Thankfully I am semi retired.
Gumbercules563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Te...Continuity.htm

Yes set resistance or ohms and the lower the reading the better. Post a pic of the antenna to mount and wire. Take it from a few feet away and make sure it is in focus. Like this:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.