Cb help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Cb help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
UnionTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cb help

I am in the process of installing a cb radio in my 98 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I have not installed an antenna but I am trying to install a PA system. I haven't mounted anything yet because I wanted to make sure it worked. Here is what I have: A 25 watt PA PowerHorn speaker from RadioShack, connected to that is a 6' 3.5mm adapter so i can plug it into my cb. My cb is a Uniden PC68XL with PA function. I am currently powering it through the cigarette lighter. No antenna. So my problem is that I have the cb radio powered and the Powerhorn plugged in the back. When I turn the PA function on and speak into the mic, it says I'm Transmitting but makes no sound. Does anyone have any idea of what I'm doing wrong?? Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated!!

UnionTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Probably have better luck in the "Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio" forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/).

A moderator will probably move this thread for you if you ask nicely.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
UnionTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks man! Sorry I'm new to the forum.
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First, make sure you ultimately power your CB directly from the battery or the 12v stud under the little snap-off cover at the rear of the power distribution center that is in front of the battery. The cigarette lighter/fuse box will usually make your CB receive & transmit noisy from things like alternator whine, fuel pump noise, etc.

Are you sure you have the PA speaker plugged into the PA speaker jack & not the Ext. speaker jack?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
UnionTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not using the actual radio part of it right now but when i do ill switch the power source. And yes it is plugged into the PA speaker jack. Anything else im possibly doing wrong?
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

Pa. Switch in the right position? Dana mike knob turned up?
Do you have history on the radio?
roadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
UnionTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The PA switch is in the right position and I'm new to cb and not familiar with the Dana Mike knob. Fill me in? It was my Grandpa's radio he used in an RV. It's relatively new, 3-4 years old?
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Read the owners manual -> http://www.uniden.com/cb-radios/bear.../invt/pc68xlg/

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
UnionTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the manual link! I looked it through and tried some things but I think this radio is just no functional... I'm going to buy a cheap one with the PA function and see what happens. Thanks everyone
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

Plug your ipod up to the pa horn. See if that's working...
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionTJ View Post
Thanks for the manual link! I looked it through and tried some things but I think this radio is just no functional... I'm going to buy a cheap one with the PA function and see what happens. Thanks everyone
A really good nearly bulletproof radio that has the PA function is the Uniden Pro520XL which can be found brand-new for between $40-50 all over the web.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

I am currently using that same radio. Pc68xl. I previously said the dynamic knob but that's a cobra term. I went and played with mine to help answer your problem. The Mic gain is what it's labeled as on that radio. Turn it all the way up. Clockwise.
Mine will output on either external outlet, when I key and talk. I know it will not receive if the mic is not attached but wondered if no antenna made a difference. It does not. Just don't try transmitting on the AM with out one. It will eventually destroy the finals.
Unread 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Be sure your plug adapter is wired correctly and not shorting or open. Good ground. Mic gain turned up and turned to pA and volume up.
Unread 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
UnionTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It was the radio after all! I got a $50 one from radioshack and plugged it into my powerhorn and wired up and the pa worked like a charm! Thanks for everyones help!
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Uniden PX68 XL and a PA form radio shack. Mine works fine, it behaves the way you explain if I plug my PA into my ext speaker. I have done this a few times, by accident. The radio you have is a very good one, esp if you have an older one made in the Philippines. I would take it to a shop to see if they could fix it. I did have my PA switch fixed once. It only cost about 20 bucks.

Even though you already got a new radio it is nice to have an extra. I have an extra radio with cigarette lighter plug and magnetic antenna I bring to every trail ride. There is always somebody who doesn't have one. Usually after they have a chance to borrow one, they like having a radio and it ends up being their next purchase.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.