CB coax and antenna question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB coax and antenna question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmel17 View Post
so I understand if I wire the cb to the battery it have much cleaner sound than if I wire it to be switched on/off with the Jeep. How much difference does it make with the noise?
Too many variables that can be unique to your jeep to give a precise answer but it will be better. Never understood people's reluctance to do it. Its not hard.

Unread 10-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First, don't worry that powering the CB directly from the battery means the CB won't shut off with the key. There will be many times on the trail where you'll want the ability to leave the CB on without also wanting the keys in the ignition or even in the On or ACC position. But as I said, don't worry about that since the CB could remain on for weeks if not months without killing the battery even if you never started the Jeep. CBs just don't draw enough power to worry about when not transmitting.

Noise-wise, there are just some power circuits that are electrically noisy... circuits that have the fuel pump or alternator on them being two such noisy circuits. Such circuits can introduce whining, buzzing, etc. into the CB's received and transmitted audio. Connecting directly to the battery will give you the cleanest/most noise-free power of any source of power on the Jeep. Not to mention the battery also looks like a big power filter that helps to filter out/absorb noise that may get introduced into various circuits it is exposed to.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry

What are your thoughts connecting the power supply to an S-POD and not directly to the battery ?

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That would be fine if the SPOD is connected directly to the battery with the right (big enough) wire gauge.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That would be fine if the SPOD is connected directly to the battery with the right (big enough) wire gauge.
Yea the SPOD is connected to the battery, not sure of wire gauge I will have to check on that.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.