CB Antenna help needed. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB Antenna help needed.

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

CB Antenna help needed.

Okay so I am tuning my CB antenna and I cannot get the SWR below 3.0. I pulled it all apart today to make sure everything was right and ground down some more paint and did some ohmmeter testing again. Here is what I am using:

Firestik 2' adjustable antenna http://www.rightchannelradios.com/fi...b-antenna.html
Firestik 18' fireRing coax cable http://www.rightchannelradios.com/fi...-with-fme.html
Teraflex Driver's side CB mount www.quadratec.com/products/16180_00.htm
FireRing Compatible stud http://www.rightchannelradios.com/fi...enna-stud.html
SWR Meter & Cable http://www.rightchannelradios.com/sw...per-cable.html
Cobra 9 Ultra III radio http://www.amazon.com/COBRA-MOBILE-C...=cobra+9+ultra

I tested the FireRing coax and the SWR coax and the ground to the middle pin had no connections. The resistance in both connections in both coax wires was just under 1 ohm.

Okay I have put the mount in place making sure that I ground down to metal all mounting locations on the Jeep and the Teraflex mount.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I even ground down inside the fender where the nuts go. All holes are ground down as you can see above. (Even the ones you cannot see)

After I attached the mounting bracket I put the FireRing coax and stud together. You can see in the pictures that the plastic lip of the FireRing connector and the plastic washer on top are oriented correctly to isolate the antenna from the ground.
3.jpg

I then ran a continuity test to make sure there were no shorts or opens using the test below.
4.jpg

No problems came up with the continuity test. The resistance of the ground on my antenna cable to the body (or to electrical ground it is 1 ohm) is 1.3 ohms.

The extra cable that I had I ran back and forth like you would a 12" yarn skein and zip tied it in the middle. There are no kinks in the cable and the cable is routed up through the rubber grommet in the back corner of the driver's side of the Jeep. It then follows the cable harness forward until it comes to the floor and then it goes under the carpet to the center console and exits where the e-brake handle is.

I took it out to a very wide open level space where the nearest anything is about 150 yards away. I balanced it out and channel 1 & channel 40 are equal at just over 3.0 while channel 20 is at 2.1.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I am totally stumped.

Unread 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The nylon washer should only isolate the top, not the bottom. If it is then the antenna is likely not "seeing" the body as a ground plane and using the coax instead causing high swrs. The short antenna wil do the same thing go with atleast a 4' antenna. Do you have a friend that you could borrow a longer antenna from?

1993 XJ Sport 2 door 4x4

Red Dirt Jeeps
prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay so the bottom red arrow shows the nylon part of the connector that actually goes in the hole of the mount. There is a metal ring right on the outside of the nylon piece that is making good contact with the mount and the mount to the body is good as the resistance to the body is about an ohm.

Actually I do not have a friend with an antenna. I wish I did.
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

As I already stated in your other thread, with a 2 foot antenna, mounted in the location you have chosen, you are not likely achieve a better SWR reading.

You need to chose a different location for the antenna, or you need to install a taller antenna.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
As I already stated in your other thread, with a 2 foot antenna, mounted in the location you have chosen, you are not likely achieve a better SWR reading.

You need to chose a different location for the antenna, or you need to install a taller antenna.
I understand a longer antenna would be nice, but then it would not fit in my garage without removing it each time. I have seen a bunch of people on the forums that have that exact setup and it works so I am not sure why it would not for mine.
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
I understand a longer antenna would be nice, but then it would not fit in my garage without removing it each time. I have seen a bunch of people on the forums that have that exact setup and it works so I am not sure why it would not for mine.

You get a strap to tie it down when not in use. I have a 4 foot antenna everhart super flex (about 12 bucks), and it works great. I use a different mount but it is in about the same place. It is flexible and tough enough to take a beating on the trail, even hitting the garage.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have picked up a new coax cable and will try tuning it again tonight. Cross your fingers for me.
Unread 02-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have any large metal objects close to the load end of the antenna?
The resistances you posted look fine.
Unread 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
Okay so the bottom red arrow shows the nylon part of the connector that actually goes in the hole of the mount. There is a metal ring right on the outside of the nylon piece that is making good contact with the mount and the mount to the body is good as the resistance to the body is about an ohm.

Actually I do not have a friend with an antenna. I wish I did.
Just for me to understand clearly. This resistance was measured mount it tub at the mount or outer shield at the radio to body up near the radio? If at the radio that's great. If not could you detail? I just want to be sure I understand.
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA
Just for me to understand clearly. This resistance was measured mount it tub at the mount or outer shield at the radio to body up near the radio? If at the radio that's great. If not could you detail? I just want to be sure I understand.
Yep the resistance was measured at the radio inside the Jeep.

I do have a tire carrier on the back, but the closest metal is the post in the middle of the Jeep.
Unread 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't think the location is the issue, and you ground a TON more paint off that mount than I did when I installed a similar setup (3' antenna, passenger side, but using a FireRing stud and cable) - I just took the paint off on the inside of all 4 holes in the mount, and none from the body, and my SWR is just about perfect. Really the only difference in our setups should be the radio, which I can't imagine how that would make a difference. Try another meter maybe?

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
BarelyCivil
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As it has been suggested, get the 4' antenna and a quick release mount. The quick release mount is a simple adapter that allows you to remove your antenna with a simple 1/4 turn. Problem solved for your garage clearance issue.
You will never get better than the SWR readings you have now with your 2' antenna on a Jeep. In effect you are getting too much of a ground plane interference. Think of it this way:You're vehicle IS the Ground - wire lead and the tip of your antenna is the Power + lead. If your + lead (the tip of your antenna) is below or too close to your - lead (your vehicle body and roll cage) you effectively get frequency interference. Its the same concept as touching + and - negative wires but on a frequency basis.
Get the longer antenna for day to day us and a shorter, more flexible one for trail use. Problem solved.
BarelyCivil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
I don't think the location is the issue, and you ground a TON more paint off that mount than I did when I installed a similar setup (3' antenna, passenger side, but using a FireRing stud and cable) - I just took the paint off on the inside of all 4 holes in the mount, and none from the body, and my SWR is just about perfect. Really the only difference in our setups should be the radio, which I can't imagine how that would make a difference. Try another meter maybe?
It isn't the same on all jeeps. I had a magnetic antenna and I could put it on the cowl and get a reading just under 2, I could move it an inch or two to the hood and it would be over 3. I can hook my CB to any power source and get no noise and others, even after going straight to the battery, get noise even after they go straight to the battery.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did hook up a different CB and I ran a different coax cable to see if the current one had a problem. The SWR came back the same on channel 1 & channel 40, just above 3.0. I ordered a longer antenna so hopefully that will take care of the problem. I will let you know when it comes in. Thank you everyone for the help.
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
It isn't the same on all jeeps. I had a magnetic antenna and I could put it on the cowl and get a reading just under 2, I could move it an inch or two to the hood and it would be over 3.
The hood, like the tailgate has a poor ground connection to the body/tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I can hook my CB to any power source and get no noise and others, even after going straight to the battery, get noise even after they go straight to the battery.
Yep.. has happened to me. I currently have the CB power via the cig lighter and though there is a slightly higher noise floor when the vehicle is on the tone of the noise does not change with engine RPM like I have experienced in the past with other vehicles.

1993 XJ Sport 2 door 4x4

Red Dirt Jeeps
prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.