cb antenna for fiberglass body? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > cb antenna for fiberglass body?

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 10-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
shmoken875
1998 XJ Cherokee 

cb antenna for fiberglass body?

what are the options for putting a cb antenna on a fiberglass body because I know you need a decent ground. my buddy's girlfried is trying to get him one.

www.sc4wda.org.vt.edu
My 44 Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-wagoneer-44-build-start-finish-466573/
shmoken875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Rick_W
2012 JK Wrangler 

Fire Stik No Ground-Plane Antenna Kit

3-way mount or molded side mount

http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm
Rick_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Head on down to the local marina. They know a thing or two about mounting antennas without a ground plane.

Oh, and as Rick points out... The problem is not lack of ground (you can always ground to metal or the battery). The problem is lack of ground plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_plane
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
shmoken875
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks fellas
www.sc4wda.org.vt.edu
My 44 Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466573
shmoken875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Ryuu600

this is the reason truckers run co-phased antenna's. The truck body's are fiberglass.

The Jeep also has a less than optimal ground plane but it gets the job done. I'm gonna co-phase 2 102" whips just for fun.
'06 TJ X Blue w/dark khaki top, 4.0L, 6 spd, 3.73, 30x9.5R15 Wrangler GS-As mounted on Ravine wheels, Soft-top w/half doors, 4 100w ProComp Offroad lights(2 bumper, 2 windshied), Cobra 29 LTD w/4' Firestik, Custom rear storage box.
Ryuu600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If the antenna is mounted to the bumper, you can go with a conventional antenna. If you really want to mount it to the fiberglass body, you must use a no-groundplane mount. But be aware that no-groundplane antennas do not perform nearly as well as a conventionally mounted antenna does. A regular antenna that is mounted to the frame, bumper, or steel body makes use of the tub/chassis as part of the antenna which is called the groundplane. It's like doubling the size of the antenna. A non-groundplane antenna has to make do without all that so it doesn't perform nearly as well.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
KA5IVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu600
this is the reason truckers run co-phased antenna's. The truck body's are fiberglass.
What "Einstein" told you this? If you believe it, I have some Ocean Front property for sale in AZ. I think you mean counterpoise antennas and that is a different monster.

Trucker's run Co-Phased antennas because of the radiation patten, not fiberglass, and Jeeps are not wide enough to co-phase antennas on 11 meters unless you do it front and back.
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Ryuu600

well thank you KA5IVR. I appreciate you correcting me on that. Do me a favor though and try to be a little less abrasive about it next time.
'06 TJ X Blue w/dark khaki top, 4.0L, 6 spd, 3.73, 30x9.5R15 Wrangler GS-As mounted on Ravine wheels, Soft-top w/half doors, 4 100w ProComp Offroad lights(2 bumper, 2 windshied), Cobra 29 LTD w/4' Firestik, Custom rear storage box.
Ryuu600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Mounting the Antenna in the rear of the vehicle to the bumper or on the tire carrier is the best over-all location.

You won't gain anything by mounting on the top of the vehicle except radiation pattern. If you get the antenna to work correctly on the top of the fiberglass top you will have a radiation pattern that is more circular, on the rear of the vehicle the pattern toward the front of the vehicle, which is usually where you want it.

Save a lot of headaches and mount it on the tire carrier...

Luck,

p.s. Ditto - KA5IVR

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

To add a little more... I have been thinking about this problem.

What would happen if a false ground was setup on the inside of teh fiberglass top?

Setup a counter poise (fake ground) by running a number of copper wires in different direction on the inside of the top. Would this be adequate to create a ground close to teh antenna ?

It has been done on HF setups where wire are run along the earth to create a grouns to bounce the signal off of.

Just thinking out loud.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.