CB antenna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > CB antenna

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

CB antenna

So I know next to nothing about CB's and I've got a brand new Uniden Pro 520xl sitting here for my TJ. I've read the firestik II is an awesome antenna and I can find them everywhere. I have a QRC rear tube bumper and I'd like to mount it there, that's about as far as my planning has gone.

So...what size antenna, what wire, and any ideas on mounting it to the 2" tube?

Showjyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
wheelnmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wilson makes an adjustable antennae. I think mine is 5 1/2 feet. The adjustment is at the top under the cap. Also don't mount it to the bumper. Get it up high. Above the body of the Jeep. It will help with range and tuning the antennae to the radio.
wheelnmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't really want it up high...lots of woods wheeling around here and I don't want it up and whipping around in the trees. I also don't need a ton of range, really just for the group I'm with.
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
wheelnmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The key is above the body.
wheelnmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

CB antenna must be above the body of the vehicle. The way it works is it turns your whole Jeep into an antenna. Think of it like a satellite dish with your Jeep being the dish and the antenna in the top middle would be ideal.

As for antennas, Firestik would be my #2 choice, second to the far superior and better priced Wilson Silver Load line of antennas. I run an FGT 3 in the same place as factory radio antenna but opposite side. I use a Wilson Silver Load FGT 3' but a 3 or 4 footer with the tip at LEAST to the roof line or a few inches above the windshield frame. I use a through the body mount (looking for url now) and the Wilson antenna is 180* flexible and durable...

As for cable to hook it up there's two grades to consider, good and best. The PME-259, RG58 and RG59 are similar but the high performance option is RG8X coax.

RightChannelRadio is a great vendor with good pricing and service.

Here's the mount I use. Comes with cable!! This+wilson+cb=done. Love it, looks great, high quality. I've always worried about a tree ripping it off- don't, hasn't happened.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/fi...tenna-kit.html

Above all the single best investment for a functional (and safe) cb install is going to a truck stop / cb shop and getting your setup peaked/tuned to dial in the antenna to your rig. Trust me.

Post pics when done!
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, there's some good and specific info. I'll definitely look into those. That's a good price for mount and cable too, thanks!
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Firestick antennas aver very popular here, I have a 4 foot Everhart superflex I am very happy with. It was about 10-15 bucks. If doesn't have an adjustable tip for tuning, you will have to clip the wire to tune it. I have had antennas with the tunable tip before and had good luck with them but the tips always ended up taking a beating. The longer the antenna the easier to tune. The longer the antenna the easier it is to get damaged offroading. The more the antenna sticks above the jeep the better it will work. If you jeep has a soft top that isn't as much of an issue that a vehicle with a complete metal body.

I would recommend against mounting it to the bumper and only mount directly to the body, nothing that attaches to the body such as tire carrier, tailgate, hood fender etc. These areas may work fine but may not. Your antenna is only half of the actual antenna, the rest is whatever you mount it to. The body makes a better other half of the antenna the other places. However there are many that mount to places other than the body and have no issues.

My antenna is mounted just above the tail light on the driver side. Mine is 4 foot and sticks up a bit. It sends and receives very good being this high but it is vulnerable to trail damage garages or anything hanging low. I have beat up a few antennas in the past. I have had the Everhardt for over a year and it has taken a beating and shown no signs of wear.

http://www.wearecb.com/everhardt-sup...b-antenna.html

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I do run a soft top. I ended up ordering a 4' firestik firefly...it's tunable and is supposed to be lighter, more flexible.

A buddy of mine has one on a bumper mount and it works very well.
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have found that Firestik II tunable antennas are easier to tune for a low SWR, and are more forgiving of less than ideal mounting locations, like the bumper. I have used Firestik tunable antennas on all my 4x4's for the last 15-20 years.

Check out www.FireStik.com. See the FAQ page and the Tech Help section for CB antenna selection, antenna mounting, and trouble shooting. The info applies to all CB antennas

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
I have found that Firestik II tunable antennas are easier to tune for a low SWR, and are more forgiving of less than ideal mounting locations, like the bumper. I have used Firestik tunable antennas on all my 4x4's for the last 15-20 years. Check out www.FireStik.com. See the FAQ page and the Tech Help section for CB antenna selection, antenna mounting, and trouble shooting. The info applies to all CB antennas
Good info there, thanks
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
NewAdventure
2007 JK Wrangler 

Great read! Thanks for all the insight and great topic. Also in the search for cb stuff. Thanks again

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
NewAdventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a Teraflex mount that goes between the taillight and the body. THey make them for drivers or passenger side.

For years I had a 3 foot Wilson antenna that worked great. I never had any reception or transmission issues with it as I was never more than a mile or so from those I was talking with. I have a 4 foot Wilson now as the 3 foot one broke at the base as I forgot to take it off going through a car wash.

Running a Uniden 510 and an external speaker mounted on the roll bar behind my head.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.