Casio Commando 3G phone vs. other smart phones - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Casio Commando 3G phone vs. other smart phones

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
mark02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Casio Commando 3G phone vs. other smart phones

I'm getting ready to upgrade to a smart phone. I really don't want to do it, but being in a "technology related job field", it's getting to the point where I need to stay up on some of the technology.

I'm with Verizon (not switching) and was leaning towards the HTC Thunderbolt which is their new 4G phone. It's pretty slick and can also double as a mobile hotspot (for an extra $20 per month).

For the last 2+ years, I've had a Casio Gz-One. This has been the best phone I've had in a long time and I've owned cell phones since 1991. It's a little on the bulky side, but I've dropped it several times, gotten it wet, etc. and it's held up. I got it because I wanted something that I could wheel with and not worry about it.

Anyway, Verizon customer service calls me the other day and asks when I'm coming in for my phone upgrade. We start talking and he mentions the Casio Commando which is the 3G version of my phone. Like my Gz-One, it's ruggedized, drop proof, water proof, etc. It also has the same complaint that it's a little "tinny sounding" which is due to the waterproof membranes over the speakers and microphone. I've read the reviews on this phone and everyone seems to like it although some complain about battery life but that seems to be common with smart phones. It can also act as a hotspot.

So, for you guys that are familiar with these things, what opinions do you have about the Commando and/or the HTC Thunderbolt? Part of the reason that I wanted the T-bolt was for it's faster, 4G capabilities. It's also got more memory, a faster processor, etc. But, like most of these phones, it's certainly not as rugged as the Casio. Is the speed difference between 3G and 4G that great?

Or, I could get the T-bolt and for another $10 a month, I could just get another number and hold on to my Gz-One to keep as a smaller, tougher phone option when conditions warrant.

Opinions are welcome!

mark02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
BearinNM
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mark,

I have the Original Droid 1, and have an upgrade due in July if I wish. I have been looking long and hard at the Commando, but as you probably have ascertained if web searching, not a whole lot out there other than canned press releases.

You are correct, the differences between the TBolt and Commando are vast. I got real close to pulling the trigger on perhaps just buying the Commando outright, but ran into one major issue. Of the few reviews I have seen, the consensus seems to be that the camera kinda sucks, both still and video. the Tbolt has vastly superior camera controls, and from what I have read, ability. My D1 is kinda marginal in the picture department, but it is not bad. Same with the video, not bad. As much as I want a rugged smart phone (a red and black one to match my Jeep ;^) ), I kinda decided that I really want my phone to take decent stills and movies, as generally the places where I get the best photos are while out in the back country.

Bear in mind that if you are sufficiently finiancially flush, you could do the multiple lines and perhaps buy the commando outright to replace you current Gzone, and perhaps use your upgrade for a better smart phone like the TBolt. I am not quite sold on the Tbolt, as there are more than a few dual core phones that are getting pretty close to release. The differences in downloading data (maps, web browsing, music, movies etc.) is fairly significant between 3g and 4g on Verizon. If you happen to live in a 4g area.

You can also buy cases (otter boxes and such) for smart phones which can help with the ruggedization. I am pretty easy on my Phone, never been dropped or wetted in the year and half of ownership, but that does take a LOT of effort, especially if your phone is with you 24-7 when away from home. In all honesty, if you really want to dabble with data smart phones to perhaps do more with work and play, the Commando is definately "older" technology. Smaller processor, screen on the low end for size, no 4g and the unknown of this being Casio's first real smart phone. If you are locked into a 2 year upgrade contract, you will be definately be on the wrong side of the tech curve. And if you keep your current phone on an additional line, the Commando is more like 400 dollars to buy outright. This one does not seem to be a top seller at this point, so might be able to find one cheaper soon. Any of the Tbolt type smart phones are gonna be closer to 6 bills to buy outright.

Anywho, I am a smart phone junky, rooted and rommed, overclocked and hacked, so if I can be of further help, let me know. I still check on Commando's daily, as it certainly has got me sorta tweaked, in a Jeeper kinda way.

Craig
BearinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
DragonTayl

Phone not playing with Jeep

I know this is an old thread, but I have just recently purchased a Casio Commando and I'm -very- happy with it. I'm not a junky (in fact I hate telephones, though I like smart phones, texting, and apps) but I do work in the technology industry. I'm not exactly here to review the phone though. I have a question -

My Commando plays music through every device except the stereo in my Jeep Wrangler. I love my Jeep too, not getting rid of either, but am frustrated because my phone plays music great everywhere else but will not switch to the headphone jack when it is plugged into the AUX jack on my Jeep. It does for other devices (like my laptop and my headphones) but not for the Jeep. I am wondering if there is some reason it doesn't register? Does anyone know a fix?
DragonTayl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTayl View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have just recently purchased a Casio Commando and I'm -very- happy with it. I'm not a junky (in fact I hate telephones, though I like smart phones, texting, and apps) but I do work in the technology industry. I'm not exactly here to review the phone though. I have a question -

My Commando plays music through every device except the stereo in my Jeep Wrangler. I love my Jeep too, not getting rid of either, but am frustrated because my phone plays music great everywhere else but will not switch to the headphone jack when it is plugged into the AUX jack on my Jeep. It does for other devices (like my laptop and my headphones) but not for the Jeep. I am wondering if there is some reason it doesn't register? Does anyone know a fix?
First, welcome to JF, DragonTayl!

Does your radio have a mode button? I'm not too familiar with the JK ('07 - current) radios, but if there is a mode (source) button, you should be able to switch to the aux input.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
DragonTayl

Thanks for your reply, Jay. Yes, the radio has an AUX button (the modes each have their own button). Not only can you push the aux, but if you plug a cable into the aux jack, it auto-selects AUX mode. I'm using a gold-plated headphone-to-jack cable that works with other phones, but for some reason does not trigger my phone to switch from its internal speakers to headphone output.

What's frustrating is that the phone works with all other devices, and the Jeep radio works with all other devices, but they don't work with each other. I am also trying to figure out how to follow up on the Casio site as I expect it's more the phone than the Jeep, but I saw this thread and jumped on it.
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

From my quick and brief research, the only thing I can find is comments of owners who say that the plug isn't seating into the port, due to the recess for the waterproof cap.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cas...aux-cable.html

Another that mentions a toggle headset widget and trimming the plug to fit the recess.

http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zon...one-issue.html

Do you have any other 3.5mm plugs laying around that you could try or trim?

Jay
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
DragonTayl

Thanks again, Jay - yes, I was starting to come to that conclusion myself. I actually have two of these cords and am going to experiment trimming down one plug and seeing if it will fit. Thanks for your help!

Jeep on.
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're welcome, DragonTayl. Post back up with the results of your experiment. Hopefully, the trimming solves your issue.

Jay
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
bubbadiesel250
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i would def say its the plug, i have this phone and had to do the same for a few plugs now. its simple tho a razor blade and 10 sec and your done. I can say that i love this phone like crazy, it can put up with my anger and still keep working, plus its always funny when it falls out your pocket at the boat ramp and your just like "dude call my phone so i can find it" and you search for the light lol
bubbadiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your input, bubbadiesel250. Hopefully, DragonTayl posts back that the plug trimming solved his issue.

Jay
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
DragonTayl

Heh. Ten seconds and a razor and I was done. Just like advertised. That was it.

Would have replied sooner but had to take the wife to the airport (in the Jeep, of COURSE). Now going out to ride with the top down and loud sounds.

Say, I should probably post this elsewhere in this forum but I'm having fun with this thread. When I pull into the garage after a hot ride (I live in South Texas, they're all hot) there is a very sharp drop-hissing sound like perhaps the AC coils are dripping onto something very hot. Does this happen to all y'all other Wrangler drivers? I'm assuming it's nothing to be concerned about, not like a recall-level design flaw or anything.

Also, I have finally run the tread off the stock tires that came with my Wrangler (I paid for the dang things, I was going to get use out of them). I don't have very deep pockets, but I am ready to upgrade to some more eye-appealing tires. I don't want anything outrageous, just something to "complete the look". Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to be set back for these? I assume it means getting new wheels/rims, which I'm totally okay with and want, but am afraid to even look at the prices. Ugh. And of course you need five... Does anyone have recommendations?
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear your issue has been solved, DragonTayl. Enjoy your tunes!

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.