Can't locate "Switched" and "unswitched" wire leads behind the glove box on 04 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Can't locate "Switched" and "unswitched" wire leads behind the glove box on 04 TJ

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-02-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can't locate "Switched" and "unswitched" wire leads behind the glove box on 04 TJ

I'm trying to install a CB in my Jeep, and for the life of me, I can't find the "Switched" and "unswitched" wire leads behind the glove box n(should be marked with a paper tag). I read tons of reviews and want to hook it up this way, but I can't find the wires.

Anyone familiar with this, or have an idea of what's going on?

and I apologize in advance if this is a bonehead oversight and I'm too tired to realize it

thanks

Unread 04-03-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
SirGCal

Interesting, that's the first I've heard of paper tags....

You could get the FSM wiring manual for the 04' to be sure by wire color; but another way would be to use a multi-meter to test for the power in each condition.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2004, 07:11 PM   #3
RIPPN TJ
2005 WK 

Well a CB was the first mod I did to my 2004 Sport when I got it on 1/7/04. I read here and a few other sites about the fool proof pre labeled wires behind the glove box so I thought it was going to be super easy. Well to my surprise they must have decided to do away with them in 2004 because I didn't have anything behind the glove box with labels on them or even the wires at all. I felt and peered to no avail so I just drilled a hole ( I did NOT want to drill a hole in my 1 week old Jeep) in the passenger side firewall up high and to the right out of sight from passengers and installed a rubber grommet and I ran my power wire with a spade terminal to the stud on the fuse box under the hood next to the battery. This way it has constant power whether the engine's running or not and the power is "cleaner" as some say. Not to mention that by hiding the wire the way I did by routing between battery and fender to the fuse box it looks really clean and like it was there from the factory. Just pop the cover off of your fuse box and you'll see 2 studs with nuts on them where the batterys power lead hooks to the fuse box and just take a nut off and stick your CB's power wire with spade terminal on the stud and replace the nut. Don't forget to hide your wires. For the ground I just removed a bolt in a bracket behind the glove box and grounded it there. Hope this helps.
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
LilWilly04Wrang
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty View Post
I'm trying to install a CB in my Jeep, and for the life of me, I can't find the "Switched" and "unswitched" wire leads behind the glove box n(should be marked with a paper tag). I read tons of reviews and want to hook it up this way, but I can't find the wires.

Anyone familiar with this, or have an idea of what's going on?

and I apologize in advance if this is a bonehead oversight and I'm too tired to realize it

thanks
I had the same issue today. (yes I know it's 6 years later )
I have seen the tagged wires in a '98 TJ, but could not find them in the '04. Any help would be appreciated.
1983 Wagoneer Limited (Kids' Rig-Restore In Progress)
LilWilly04Wrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
SirGCal

Run wires for CB back to the battery with a proper fuse on the positive wire. (Yes, run both + and - for this particular item back to the battery).

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
mark02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

These infamous wires must have been done away with by 2002 since I don't have them either. My buddy's '98 does have them though.
mark02tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Phreak480
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yes they were eliminated in the later years. not sure what year exactly
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.