can you use one channel of a two channel amp safely? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > can you use one channel of a two channel amp safely?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-15-2003, 04:56 PM   #1
idcx3

can you use one channel of a two channel amp safely?

I was wondering if it is safe to use just one channel of a two channel amp? this is just temporary until i can get my other sub installed

idcx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
MAjeep87

wait kind of amp is it. you could always bridge it if the amp is able too. Yes you can only run one channel of the amp as long as it is able to take the ohms you are putting to it. example your amp is 2ohm stable and u try running it at 1ohm.
MAjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
idcx3

the amp is a fasgate 1000a2...2 ohm stable..i currently have it bridged and its way to powerfull for the sub...but if it is just drawing off of the left or right channel alone it would be pulling RMS power...i just didnt know if this would be safe on the amp
idcx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
prophesized

just turn the gain down all the way instead
prophesized is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
Bucket110

yes that is completely safe...cause it would think it is powering two subs but is really only powering one...its fine.

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/2k2blktj]My Jeep[/URL]
Bucket110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 06:17 PM   #6
CJ Fanatic

It is not recommended to run only one channel of a two channel amp. The reson being, the outoput transistors of most amps require a balanced load across both channels. I too would suggest turning the gain down to a level that works for your application.

1977 CJ5, '75 258, Motorcraft 2150 carb, HEI dizzy, BDS 2.5" suspension, 3/4" Daystar Rock Krusher Greasable shackles, M.O.R.E. steering brace, Flaming River steering shaft, Tie rod flip, Yukon AMC20 axle kit, 1.5" Trail Sport wheel spacers, 15x10" Black Cragar soft 8s w/ 33" Yokohama Geolander MTs, Goodridge SS brake lines, Classic Tube stainless hard lines, YJ power brake with front disc upgrade (had 4 wheel drums)
CJ Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.