Can I mount this amp upside down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Can I mount this amp upside down

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 09-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

JL XD700/5 under the steering column? Bought the skinny pedal mount to mount the amp under the dash. I know they say mounting them upside down can be bad but I thought with Class D amps dont get as hot.

If I mount it right side up I'll have to fab up some spacers but may run out of room??

05LJTampa is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Indy

Most amps can be mounted upside down. It will usually shorten its life a bit.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
WJefy
2004 WJ 

You can mount any amp upside down. But the heat sinks are on the top so the aluminum can draw the heat away from the inside as it rises off the components that generate it. Depending on how hard you run it, you could shorten its life considerably. I'd try to find a better spot. In more than a thousand amp installs, I've never mounted one upside down. Never had to.
WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJefy
You can mount any amp upside down. But the heat sinks are on the top so the aluminum can draw the heat away from the inside as it rises off the components that generate it. Depending on how hard you run it, you could shorten its life considerably. I'd try to find a better spot. In more than a thousand amp installs, I've never mounted one upside down. Never had to.
Thanks. Just dont want it mounted in the rear as I always have wet watersports gear in the back and have a tuffy lockbox under driver seat so thats out. I hope I can still have the audio shop fab something up to use the $60 bracket and keep it in the intended hidden spot.
05LJTampa is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Jonathanjr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing i can see that can go wrong is that it may over heat because heat rises and the heat sinks are ment for the heat to go up wards. you might want to add a fan to move the heat out from under the dash.
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.