Can a 2002 Grand Cherokee Radio fit a 1996 Grand Cherokee limited? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Can a 2002 Grand Cherokee Radio fit a 1996 Grand Cherokee limited?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 10-18-2002, 01:09 AM   #1
banzayworld

Can a 2002 Grand Cherokee Radio fit a 1996 Grand Cherokee limited?

I am thinking of buying a 2002 grand Cherokee radio to install in my 1996 bGrand Cherokee.

Do you know if this combination is possible at all?

Is it easy??

Thanks for your help!

Banzay

banzayworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 02:30 PM   #2
FloridaXJ

The wire harnesses will plug in but the face shape is different. In 2002 they went to a round corner design with a different mounting style. Unless your getting the 2002 radio very cheap, you would be better off getting a aftermarket. Pio, Ken, Alp, JVC....
Unread 10-20-2002, 12:16 PM   #3
banzayworld

Thanks FloridaXJ, your answer is very informative.

Just one last question:

even though the face is rounder and the mounting points are slightly different, it is possible to fit it right??

The reason why I want to stick to the stock radio is so that I do not have to loose the steering wheel controls.

Unless of course there is a why to get those controls to work with an aftermarket radio.

Thanks again

Banzay
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:39 PM   #4
NYWheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

There is a company called Peripheal ( not sure of the spelling?) that sells adapters to allow the use of the steering wheel controls on some vehicles. Not sure if they make one for that vehicle. Just check with a local stereo shop and they should be able to tell you. The radio is pretty different and would probably require modifications to your dash board to make it fit. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that Chrysler changed the radio plug and antenna for 2002. I know they changed it for most other cars and trucks. hope that helps.
NYWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 10:25 PM   #5
banzayworld

Thanks NYWheeler,

I found the company that u were talking about. The web site is

www.peripheralelectronics.com

They have a product that should be able to retain the functionalities of the steering wheel controls.

I have sent an email them to ask more info about the product.

I will let u know as soon as I get it.

Regards,

Banzay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.