A/C Recharged - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > A/C Recharged

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A/C Recharged

Looking to get my A/C Recharged.

Anybody have a rough estimate how much it would cost at a local body shop?

Is there kits you can buy to do it yourself?

Thanks.

acurrier2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurrier2012 View Post
Looking to get my A/C Recharged.

Anybody have a rough estimate how much it would cost at a local body shop?

Is there kits you can buy to do it yourself?

Thanks.
In some states you can buy a kit. Go to your local AutoZone, Napa or whatever and ask them.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks.
acurrier2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
chopstix333
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Like Ross said, go to those Auto stores and even Walmart! Look for a cylindrical bottle with a hose coming out from the top. Usually there's a gauge on the top too. Costs around 25 dollars a can and all it takes is 5 minutes to do. I did that in my 1998 TJ and it worked beautifully! Blows cold!
'98 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L | 4" Pro Comp Lift | 33x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers | Two 10" Polk Audio Subwoofers | 2 Amps (800w Eclipse and Alpine MRP-1000 Mono) | Kenwood Head Unit | Ham Radio w/ Comet SBB-7 Antenna (Call Sign: KK4BUE) |CB Radio | Hella Vision Plus Conversion with 50w 6k HID bulbs | Lotta Lights |
chopstix333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstix333 View Post
Like Ross said, go to those Auto stores and even Walmart! Look for a cylindrical bottle with a hose coming out from the top. Usually there's a gauge on the top too. Costs around 25 dollars a can and all it takes is 5 minutes to do. I did that in my 1998 TJ and it worked beautifully! Blows cold!
How did you evacuate the air out of the system, and the moisture in the air? Without doing an evacuation to remove air and moisture, you'll ruin your system, and it will not perform as well as it should. Once it is evacuated, you can charge it with that stuff from the parts store, as long as it has no sealer in it, which most of their stuff does have, and you'll be most likely ok. If not, the moisture in the air will take its toll, corroding the aluminum on the inside of the system, and contaminating the drier. Just wait till you see what happens after that.lol
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
chopstix333
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
How did you evacuate the air out of the system, and the moisture in the air? Without doing an evacuation to remove air and moisture, you'll ruin your system, and it will not perform as well as it should. Once it is evacuated, you can charge it with that stuff from the parts store, as long as it has no sealer in it, which most of their stuff does have, and you'll be most likely ok. If not, the moisture in the air will take its toll, corroding the aluminum on the inside of the system, and contaminating the drier. Just wait till you see what happens after that.lol
Honestly, I didn't do much research before doing this. My a/c was not blowing cold, so I went to Walmart and bought a can of the A/C recharge and on the bottle, it has a detailed instruction on what to do (like turning on the car and turning the ac on full blast). After doing the process, A/C blows EXTREMELY cold! I've also noticed that the A/C compressor would turn on and off. (Before, the compressor would be engaged all the time because a/c wasn't cold). It's been over a year now and it still works like a charm under the hot Houston heat.
'98 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L | 4" Pro Comp Lift | 33x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers | Two 10" Polk Audio Subwoofers | 2 Amps (800w Eclipse and Alpine MRP-1000 Mono) | Kenwood Head Unit | Ham Radio w/ Comet SBB-7 Antenna (Call Sign: KK4BUE) |CB Radio | Hella Vision Plus Conversion with 50w 6k HID bulbs | Lotta Lights |
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
chopstix333
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If I remember there should be like a nipple under the hood of the Jeep to attach the hose on the A/C bottle so no air leaks into the system
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstix333 View Post
If I remember there should be like a nipple under the hood of the Jeep to attach the hose on the A/C bottle so no air leaks into the system
There are two valves I think. If you get the do it yourself kit it will only fit on the correct valve.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What is the problem with your A/C besides it doesn't blow cold air? If you are not blowing cold air then you have a leak somewhere. I just finished up today replacing all my o-rings in my a/c lines. Since I didn't have an R134 in the system I took this opportunity to overhaul the system. You are correct that you need to evac the system. You can use a vacuum pump on your own but most people don't have one. If you do you should also use a A/C manifold kit that has pressure gauges to monitor the system. I called several places around the area and most people were $140 to $160 for the evac and recharge. I found Meineke was running a special for $80. They put vaced the system out, added oil, put some die in the system and charged it. This is the best way to go because if it does leak later in life the die will be there to show you were the problem is. Freon is horrible for the environment so please make sure you have the leak fixed first.

DON'T skip the evac stage. If you don't suck the moister out of the system you will have bigger problems in a year, drier replacement, compressor replacement, and the moister will start to eat the lines from the inside.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.