C.B. and Ham overhead console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > C.B. and Ham overhead console

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

C.B. and Ham overhead console

This is the Over head console that I built for my cb and ham.

I started by welding up a 1" tube frame with a piece of flat bar on the windshield end that was drilled to match the wholes for the sun visors and center footman loop. I used angle to make "ears" to drill and bolt to wholes that I drilled and tapped.
Next I cut some thin diamond plate aluminum to use as a fascia and mounting surface for the radios, the cooling fan, fan switch, and both speakers. I drilled the holes for the bolts the fan and holes to run the wires through. I fit it all up and then disassembled it.
I then painted the frame with a rattle can of Duplicolor bed liner. Then I reassembled and wired everything up.
The fan is there because the radio tends to get hot if used on high power for very long. I got the 75w output radio as a safety if I broke down in a back country area.
So here it is, what do you think?sany1890.jpg

sany1893.jpg

sany1895.jpg

sany1896.jpg

sany1897.jpg

89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
MrAugie
2012 JK Wrangler 

that looks AAAAA+
MrAugie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAugie View Post
that looks AAAAA+
Thanks it was a lot of fun making it.
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
msechler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Like it. Are you going to put a top piece on it, with a cut out for fan? Just think to keep water and dirt out, you could put a backwards scoop on it to vent out or suck in above the van. But I like it a lot. Thinking of doing something like this once my roll cage gets put in.
msechler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msechler View Post
Like it. Are you going to put a top piece on it, with a cut out for fan? Just think to keep water and dirt out, you could put a backwards scoop on it to vent out or suck in above the van. But I like it a lot. Thinking of doing something like this once my roll cage gets put in.
Thanks, no I'm not adding a top my soft top covers it and I live on a dirt road so I figured that it would be easier to clean if open. The fan is the only thing that I would be concerned with getting damaged by the dust is the fan and if it lasts a year it is cheap enough to do an annual change. It has enough room under the top to effectively draw air so I think that part is good.
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good man!

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well it's been several months since the install and I haven't changed a thing. I have had to use the fan once and it worked like a charm. The summer heat around here keeps it hot even when it isn't in use. The one time I used it I was stuck in the creek at home! Down in the creek bed I had to run high power to knife edge the bank so my wife could hear me on simplex. It got to about 190 on a 107 degree day. I switched the fan on and it took it down about a degree a second to about 145. I am very happy with it and I haven't had to clean it out once. The airflow seems to do well enough on its own.

Oh, I did add some toroids to the power cables and speaker wires to kill the alternator noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.