C.B. and Ham overhead console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > C.B. and Ham overhead console

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

C.B. and Ham overhead console

This is the Over head console that I built for my cb and ham.

I started by welding up a 1" tube frame with a piece of flat bar on the windshield end that was drilled to match the wholes for the sun visors and center footman loop. I used angle to make "ears" to drill and bolt to wholes that I drilled and tapped.
Next I cut some thin diamond plate aluminum to use as a fascia and mounting surface for the radios, the cooling fan, fan switch, and both speakers. I drilled the holes for the bolts the fan and holes to run the wires through. I fit it all up and then disassembled it.
I then painted the frame with a rattle can of Duplicolor bed liner. Then I reassembled and wired everything up.
The fan is there because the radio tends to get hot if used on high power for very long. I got the 75w output radio as a safety if I broke down in a back country area.
So here it is, what do you think?sany1890.jpg

sany1893.jpg

sany1895.jpg

sany1896.jpg

sany1897.jpg

89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
MrAugie
2012 JK Wrangler 

that looks AAAAA+
MrAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAugie View Post
that looks AAAAA+
Thanks it was a lot of fun making it.
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
msechler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Like it. Are you going to put a top piece on it, with a cut out for fan? Just think to keep water and dirt out, you could put a backwards scoop on it to vent out or suck in above the van. But I like it a lot. Thinking of doing something like this once my roll cage gets put in.
msechler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msechler View Post
Like it. Are you going to put a top piece on it, with a cut out for fan? Just think to keep water and dirt out, you could put a backwards scoop on it to vent out or suck in above the van. But I like it a lot. Thinking of doing something like this once my roll cage gets put in.
Thanks, no I'm not adding a top my soft top covers it and I live on a dirt road so I figured that it would be easier to clean if open. The fan is the only thing that I would be concerned with getting damaged by the dust is the fan and if it lasts a year it is cheap enough to do an annual change. It has enough room under the top to effectively draw air so I think that part is good.
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good man!

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well it's been several months since the install and I haven't changed a thing. I have had to use the fan once and it worked like a charm. The summer heat around here keeps it hot even when it isn't in use. The one time I used it I was stuck in the creek at home! Down in the creek bed I had to run high power to knife edge the bank so my wife could hear me on simplex. It got to about 190 on a 107 degree day. I switched the fan on and it took it down about a degree a second to about 145. I am very happy with it and I haven't had to clean it out once. The airflow seems to do well enough on its own.

Oh, I did add some toroids to the power cables and speaker wires to kill the alternator noise.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.