buzzing in speakers - help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > buzzing in speakers - help?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
cbass68
1997 TJ Wrangler 

buzzing in speakers - help?

Getting a buzzing/crackling noise through through the stereo speakers - radio only. Replaced the stereo ground with good frame contact. Replaced the antenna extension cord with new. Only happens with engine running. Anybody run into this and figure the fix? 97 wrangler

Thanks for any help!

cbass68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Hillbilly61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass68 View Post
Getting a buzzing/crackling noise through through the stereo speakers - radio only. Replaced the stereo ground with good frame contact. Replaced the antenna extension cord with new. Only happens with engine running. Anybody run into this and figure the fix? 97 wrangler

Thanks for any help!
Sounds like that the insulation on one (or more) of your spark plug wires has failed. Try replacing them. You saying that this only happens when the engine is running is very telling here. In (now) old vehicles with crude speakers and tuned to AM radio, it would be real telling there. The change of the pitch of the buzz would actually vary depending upon how hard you had the engine revved if the insulation crack was bad.

So, try swapping out the plug wires (make sure the replacements are of the insulated variety).
Hillbilly61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
cbass68
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Hillbilly! I'll get some insulated wires tomorrow and try that.
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Hillbilly61

I get a good feeling that is what is going on with your vehicle & sound system. You described your problem pretty well. Just make sure all of the wires are swapped out. That includes the wire to the distributor too. By what I meant by "insulated" (these wires are all insulated) is for radio. Almost standard these days, but you might want to clarify when buying.

I have had breaks in it, such as you described, in the that you could actually hear the buzz picked up from power lines when driving under them tuned in to AM radio. All of these power sources (engine spark system, power lines, etc) readily broadcast radio noise that your system can readily pick up & play back to you via radio.

For the 'what is worth' category since you have already done this, a poorly grounded sound system (either the unit itself or the speakers) will buzz regardless of whether you are playing radio or a CD. This is why you saying that it only happens when tuned into radio was very helpful towards giving some advice back. Also, non radio insulated speakers of any sort (could be your PC) will also intermittently report a "dot the dot, the dotta" sound back too from your cell nearby cell phone if using the frequency that ATT and other carriers that use (will not happen with Verizon and their brethren - they use a different frequency).

All of this is from the "have had to deal with this 'crap' department!"
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
cbass68
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool. I bought some premium insulated Autolites today but, won't get a chance to install them until later in the week. I'll keep you posted. Again, thanks for the help!
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
cbass68
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the premium spark plug wires this morning. That did the trick! I noticed a little moisture had previously gotten on the coil connection so, I used a little steel wool on it. Maybe that helped too?

Thanks again Hillbilly!!

This forum is great!
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Hillbilly61

Glad it took care of things!

Good thing that you noticed that moisture had gotten on the coil connection and took care of it too. Not that it probably probably mattered about the RF noise you were getting, but it might have caused your vehicle to quit starting (or suddenly stopping when going down the highway) Moisture related corrosion usually does not stop once started... why you never want to buy a vehicle that has been in a flood. Engine & mechanicals may be fine, but the electrical system will gradually go to hell by the induced corrosion. Once started, it is like a cancer, as it never stops spreading.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.