Burnt Some Serious Wiring.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Burnt Some Serious Wiring..

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
8Jeep8
1996 ZJ 

Burnt Some Serious Wiring..

Hey guys, just bought a '95 Cherokee 4.0L, 5 speed manual last week.

Yesterday, I cleaned the engine bay with degreaser and water. Jeep started and ran fine all day yesterday and this morning. Today, before I left work to go home, I started it up and pulled it closer to the building, on a slight incline. I turned it off about 10 minutes later when it had warmed up. A few minutes later, I started it back up and headed home. I got to the end of the parking lot and immediately noticed a burning smell coming through the vents. I tried to turn the blower motor off, but it kept running..on all speeds. I shut the Jeep off, and took the key out of the ignition...blower motor still turning and smelling like crazy. Disconnected the battery, pulled blower motor fuse (noticed some smoke near the fuse box, under the dash), reconnected battery.. blower motor still running. I disconnected the wiring from the blower motor under the dash and it turned off.

I believe that when I parked on the incline, it let some of the water (from when I cleaned the engine bay) drain back into a connector or some frayed wiring and melted it to something that is "hot" at all times. The one thing I did notice was that the interior lights are now not working. They worked fine before. I am wondering if the interior light switch (which is hot at all times) melted with the blower motor circuit, allowing the blower motor to run at all times.

Everything else works on the jeep (I think, this just happened a few hours ago). Got it home (10 mile drive). Still starts and drives fine including headlights, turn signals, etc.

What do you guys think? I haven't got a chance to look into it at all, it is dark and about 30 degrees outside...just wanted some info to point me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone!

8Jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you might have got water into the blower motor or in the duct and soaked the blower motor resistor. Hopefully, you just created a temporary conductive path somewhere with the water/degreaser/dirt mixture.

The interior lighting issue, according to wiring diagrams, is not related to the blower motor circuit (unless perhaps something happened in a common wire bundle). Check the door switches...they can get intermittent...could be just a coincidence.

In the future, don't use water in the engine compartment...lots of guys do it, even using a pressure washer, but don't...nowadays just too many electrical/electronics under the hood. Even if you don't do immediate damage, you risk getting water into connectors where you can't see it do its insidious damage over time.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

12volts isn't enough voltage to carry enough amps through water to run a blower motor.imo you have a dead short but it wasn't caused by water or washing anything.
chris142 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look at the bulkhead connector (the connector that goes thru the firewall) ...according to the connector pin outs in the wiring diagrams, pin E5 is the feed to the blower motor and pin E4 is battery hot all the time from the Power Distribution Center under the hood. These two pins are right next to each other in the bulkhead connector. It is very possible that they are shorted. It may have been caused by the water...especially if there was already any dirt or corrosion in there. Once the shorting starts, a carbon path can form. Take the connector apart and check it out...could be the source of your trouble.
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any update?

Tags
cherokee , electrical issue , jeep , water damage , wires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.