Burnt Some Serious Wiring.. - JeepForum.com
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hartville
Posts: 7
Burnt Some Serious Wiring..

Hey guys, just bought a '95 Cherokee 4.0L, 5 speed manual last week.

Yesterday, I cleaned the engine bay with degreaser and water. Jeep started and ran fine all day yesterday and this morning. Today, before I left work to go home, I started it up and pulled it closer to the building, on a slight incline. I turned it off about 10 minutes later when it had warmed up. A few minutes later, I started it back up and headed home. I got to the end of the parking lot and immediately noticed a burning smell coming through the vents. I tried to turn the blower motor off, but it kept running..on all speeds. I shut the Jeep off, and took the key out of the ignition...blower motor still turning and smelling like crazy. Disconnected the battery, pulled blower motor fuse (noticed some smoke near the fuse box, under the dash), reconnected battery.. blower motor still running. I disconnected the wiring from the blower motor under the dash and it turned off.

I believe that when I parked on the incline, it let some of the water (from when I cleaned the engine bay) drain back into a connector or some frayed wiring and melted it to something that is "hot" at all times. The one thing I did notice was that the interior lights are now not working. They worked fine before. I am wondering if the interior light switch (which is hot at all times) melted with the blower motor circuit, allowing the blower motor to run at all times.

Everything else works on the jeep (I think, this just happened a few hours ago). Got it home (10 mile drive). Still starts and drives fine including headlights, turn signals, etc.

What do you guys think? I haven't got a chance to look into it at all, it is dark and about 30 degrees outside...just wanted some info to point me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone!

8Jeep8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rochester, Michigan
Posts: 722
Sounds like you might have got water into the blower motor or in the duct and soaked the blower motor resistor. Hopefully, you just created a temporary conductive path somewhere with the water/degreaser/dirt mixture.

The interior lighting issue, according to wiring diagrams, is not related to the blower motor circuit (unless perhaps something happened in a common wire bundle). Check the door switches...they can get intermittent...could be just a coincidence.

In the future, don't use water in the engine compartment...lots of guys do it, even using a pressure washer, but don't...nowadays just too many electrical/electronics under the hood. Even if you don't do immediate damage, you risk getting water into connectors where you can't see it do its insidious damage over time.
Carl48 is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Apple Valley,Ca
Posts: 3,266
12volts isn't enough voltage to carry enough amps through water to run a blower motor.imo you have a dead short but it wasn't caused by water or washing anything.
chris142 is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rochester, Michigan
Posts: 722
Take a look at the bulkhead connector (the connector that goes thru the firewall) ...according to the connector pin outs in the wiring diagrams, pin E5 is the feed to the blower motor and pin E4 is battery hot all the time from the Power Distribution Center under the hood. These two pins are right next to each other in the bulkhead connector. It is very possible that they are shorted. It may have been caused by the water...especially if there was already any dirt or corrosion in there. Once the shorting starts, a carbon path can form. Take the connector apart and check it out...could be the source of your trouble.
Carl48 is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rochester, Michigan
Posts: 722
Any update?
Carl48 is offline  

cherokee , electrical issue , jeep , water damage , wires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Have you ever burnt out on Jeep? theducksguts General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 17 05-01-2011 08:00 PM
Burnt DVD Won't Play 08JGCOilBurner Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 4 06-19-2009 09:33 AM
4.0L I6 Burnt Valve 04WJchick Engines & Drivetrain 3 05-27-2009 03:36 PM
burnt cd's? DannyMK2 Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 14 11-17-2005 06:16 PM
Burnt Valve Doug76CJ5 Engines & Drivetrain 0 07-18-2002 08:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome