Not to hijack but on another similar note I discovered something that might help some people with disc issues.
I had a burned cd in my alpine and the cd was playing fine (it wasn't new, I've played it from beginning to start in intervals before). Parked the Jeep went to work, it was a sunny day and when I got back in the JP was hot as hell and the cd was all weird. Sounded "far away" and garbled. I decided to try to store bought cd before panicking and it worked fine. I checked for scratches and put the burned back in and the same thing. I didn't think about it much, and made a new copy of the CD (it was an itunes playlist).
Maybe a month went by, then it happened in the alpine h/u in my evo. (for reference the 2 cds were burned on different computers, different songs). I investigated harder this time and what I realized was the same thing had happened, hot car, burned cd left in the unit. What I noticed was I had used a CD label. After further inspection I could see the label had lifted (probably in the heat) and pulled away some of the foil.
Now I'm sticking to good old sharpie for my labelling. I haven't had any more issues.