Build my own "amp kit" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Build my own "amp kit"

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Build my own "amp kit"

So I finally got the ZJ running again and while she was out of commission my new amp came.

It's a cheap Boss RIOT 1100M, I bought it just to have some bass while I'm upgrading. Anyways I'm using it to drive 2 12" Sony Xplod Subs that are 1200W. The part number escapes me.

I realized I bought a mono channel to drive two subs...so on the fly, can I connect the (+) wires on each sub to the (+) on the amp and then do the same for the (-) ones?

Also I don't really want to spend 100 bucks on an amp kit since my car was already wired for subs; all I need is a 4awg to run from the battery and for the ground, the fuse inside "the bubble", and speaker wire to connect the subs to the amp. Is this something I can pick up at let's say RadioShack or do I have to bite the bullet and shell out some bucks for the amp kit.

Unread 07-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would not.....connecting 2 speakers in parallel will effectively lower their ohm impedance.

Check your speakers coil values and use the formula

1/R total = 1/R1 + 1/R2

Check your total ohms against the amps rating.

As for the cable you can buy it by the foot at most electrical supply houses. I personally like using welding cable.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
bob6987
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the Boss RIOT 1100M is rated for 2 ohms, if the subs are each single voice coils at 4ohms each (only one + and - per speaker), wiring them in parallel will be ok.

if you run them in serial they will be at 8 ohms, the amp will run cooler but wont put out as much power.

you dont need to buy a kit. you can piece together the parts for the amp install, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ has good prices.

If you are running power I would go 2 or 0 gauge... dont want to run new power cable if you upgrade or add an amp
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob6987 View Post
the Boss RIOT 1100M is rated for 2 ohms, if the subs are each single voice coils at 4ohms each (only one + and - per speaker), wiring them in parallel will be ok.

if you run them in serial they will be at 8 ohms, the amp will run cooler but wont put out as much power.

you dont need to buy a kit. you can piece together the parts for the amp install, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ has good prices.

If you are running power I would go 2 or 0 gauge... dont want to run new power cable if you upgrade or add an amp
Thanks! I will wire them in parallel. I will go with 2awg, also where can I pick up one of those fuses in the plastic case?
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
bob6987
1991 YJ Wrangler 

any place that sells car audio will have one. i like the ones that take a ANL fuse type, i have this one in my f250 Xscorpion Anl1010p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.