Broken temperature gauge? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Broken temperature gauge?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Eric95
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Broken temperature gauge?

Just to start, my girlfriend and I bought a 1988 jeep cherokee a couple weeks back so it's fairly new to me. The other day I had to make a fairly long drive and I was unaware that the coolant had gotten low. Low being none at all. Yes, stupid me. Forgot to check the fluids and such. Well it was a hot day and I had run it fairly hard. Of course not knowing that the coolant is low, I use it for the rest of the day and everything goes as it should. The next morning I had to get up earlyish and head out. Tried to start it and it wouldn't catch. It turns over but doesn't catch. So that's when I finally looked and saw that the reservoir for coolant was bone dry. I put some water in it ad tried to start it again. It still didn't work too well. I looked in at the temperature gauge and it was maxed out right to the little screw. It goes right up every time I try to start it. Looking around I think it may be the coolant sensor or temperature sensor that needs to be reset and I have no clue how that works. Now, I'm just wondering if that is the problem, and if so, how it can be fixed without being hauled to a mechanic. If not, what might it be?

Eric95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric95 View Post
Just to start, my girlfriend and I bought a 1988 jeep cherokee a couple weeks back so it's fairly new to me. The other day I had to make a fairly long drive and I was unaware that the coolant had gotten low. Low being none at all. Yes, stupid me. Forgot to check the fluids and such. Well it was a hot day and I had run it fairly hard. Of course not knowing that the coolant is low, I use it for the rest of the day and everything goes as it should. The next morning I had to get up earlyish and head out. Tried to start it and it wouldn't catch. It turns over but doesn't catch. So that's when I finally looked and saw that the reservoir for coolant was bone dry. I put some water in it ad tried to start it again. It still didn't work too well. I looked in at the temperature gauge and it was maxed out right to the little screw. It goes right up every time I try to start it. Looking around I think it may be the coolant sensor or temperature sensor that needs to be reset and I have no clue how that works. Now, I'm just wondering if that is the problem, and if so, how it can be fixed without being hauled to a mechanic. If not, what might it be?
Pull the battery for a couple minutes and rehook it up. That'll reset the computer but it may of destroyed the block is there coolent in the radiator? if it was over heated for that long you'd know
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Eric95
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Did the battery thing and it didn't work, verified that yes I had coolant but not as much as I needed. Gauge goes to max as soon as I turn the key. Didn't get overheated long
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Chances are the sensor is bad. It's not uncommon for them to go bad.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Eric95
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Heh, nevermind about the temperature gauge. It ended up being the fuel pump. Totally unrelated to the temperature gauge. Got that all fixed and it works like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.