Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

brake lights and blinkers from scratch

628 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jeeppsycho223 
#1 ·
So after the motor and transmission swap and soon to be gauge swap I decided that it was time to remove all of the factory wiring as most of it did nothing and it was a big mess.

using stock front running lights and flush mount round hi/low fillament rear lights

Here is what I have done so far, Headlights (high/low), running lights, brake lights and blinkers (with on dash indicators, not the stock ones behind steering column)

This is what is happening, when i press on the brake pedal my brake lights come, when i turn on blinkers they work properly,

my problem is when i press on the brake the hi fillament stays on constantly drowning out the pulse from my blinker relay thingy not allowing the bulb to blink

I have the blinkers wired through a on off on three position toggle switch with six pins two of which (5,6) are hot when the switch is flipped Left and two are hot (1,2) when the switch is flipped Right and pin 3 grounds 1 and 5 and pin 4 grounds 2 and 6 .

------
|135|
|246|
------

WHATS GOT ME SCRATCHIN MY HEAD IS if i need to use a relay a diode or wire my brake lights through the switch so that when i flip my left blinker on it somehow grounds out my left brake hot wire etc, i do not want to use anything inside the steering column or an aftermarket steering column switch if it is possible i would like to use the three position switch that i have already drilled a hole in my dash for

See less See more
#3 ·
What is happening is your 'brake light" if feeding back through your "signal light" circuit, this will cause the signal light to act as if it were a brake light. Both the brake light and the turn signal use the same filliment on the 1157 bulb, I assume this is what your using. The only way to solve this problem, due to the way you have it wired currently, if to isolate the brake light operation from the signal light, you can do this by using a "high current diode". The other option is to use the Euro design and have a separate turn signal bulb.

#4 ·
I had thought of the diode but wasn't sure if I could get it to work. Order a three position on/on/on switch

Switch Left being left blinker and isolated right brake light if brake switch is engaged

Switch Right being right blinker and isolated left brake light if brake switch is engaged

Switch Center both brake lights if brake switch is engaged

I got it all figured out :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.