Is Bluetooth worth it in a TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Is Bluetooth worth it in a TJ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Jeepin Jimmy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is Bluetooth worth it in a TJ?

The factory woofer in my 04 Rubi blew and it's got me thinking about upgrading the 7 speaker system, including the head unit. Mod fever strikes again...
A big reason I'm contemplating replacing the head unit is to be able to use my phone with bluetooth. I have 2 tops and altho both are in great shape both, as you know, make alot of cabin noise. During the summer the tops always down. For those of you that do have units with bluetooth, are they worth considering?? Do people on the other end complain that they can't hear you clearly? Can you hear them?? My tj is not a daily driver, mostly for fun and errands, unless the weather sux and then it's used to and from work..
Your comments are appreciated

Jeepin Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Mattific
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have my microphone behind the wheel on the column. It's fine with either a soft top or a hard top. But it's a little harder with the top and doors off. I can still talk to them if I lean a little toward the microphone and raise my voice. Hearing them isn't a problem I just turn the volume up
Unread 05-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I would recommend you upgrade the receiver with an amp and replace the speakers. As for Bluetooth some units work better than others so I would continue to ask others what they think about their units and experience. I don't have Bluetooth in my TJ as I am still running my Alpine 9855 receiver (a 2005 model) and hope I never have to change it out. As far as speakers go personally I like Focal speakers, not too bright and offer a neutral sound stage. If I were you I would go with at least 45 watts RMS to the speakers and depending on what you do with the Subwoofer another mono channel may be necessary. I also modified the stock speaker pods in the dash to fit a set of 4" Focal CVX 100 speakers and have been very happy with the setup. Let me know if you want pics of the pod modification I did, I have recently posted it (today) in two other threads (in E,A,GPS&2-way radio) so I am trying to not over do it. I also have some really good ideas for sub placement and am personally working on some projects for stealthy subwoofers in a TJ (if interested let me know and I'll share more). Good luck with your setup, do your homework and take your time and you should get good results.

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
Jeepin Jimmy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback...brush I did see your thread before starting this one and you're one of the guys that got me thinking changing the entire system! I'll send you a pm once I figure out what I'm going with.
Anyone else want to share their bluetooth experience...
Unread 05-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Mattific
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you're interested in better sound from the front they also make a adapter that bolts into the stock set up to fit a 5.25" speaker
Unread 05-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bluetooth is worth it for wireless connection to my cellphone for music.

Everything else however...not so much.
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Agree regarding the value for music. Use mine all the time for that. As far as the phone is concerned I do use it with a soft top on. People complain that its noisy but it works.
Unread 05-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can't use the BT to have an actual phone conversation. But I do like that my radio alerts me when I do get a call.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a Kenwood unit with Bluetooth for the phone. I have the mic behind the steering wheel. It has a noise cancelling feature you can adjust through the head unit. It works well. Others can hear me well even with my softop. I usually have to speak pretty loud though. I have no carpet, sailcloth top, 35" MTRs, and a fairly loud exhaust. No issues. Really comes in handy since I have the 5 speed. Nice to shift and talk uninterrupted at the same time. Incoming calls go directly to Bluetooth too. It can answer automatically or I just push a button on the faceplate.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you're a salesperson who wants to make calls from the Jeep people are gonna get ticked. Calling someone quick to tell them you're on the way or order a pizza, going to work like a champ. Actually I'm considering switching out my own unit to Bluetooth, had a friend with bluetooth call me and it wasn't bad. Get a unit with a decent brand mic for the best results.

Like above I recommend you add a 2 channel amp and some decent speakers, especially if you hope to hear the person you're calling.
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Pioneer has it. I have a thread in this forum somewhere that I think tells which model I bought, it was about a year and a half ago. I mounted the microphone on my steering column. Hardtop on it is fine. Soft top on and windows rolled up, it is fine. Windows out or top completely off it depends on the road. Cruising down I-65 on the way to work with 18 wheelers blasting by you with their big diesels roaring and their tires humming, yeah that's not going to work. Driving through neighborhood streets with little traffic is usually fine if you're going 30-40 MPH.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just purchased a new Pioneer media player for my Jeep. In came with a Bluetooth microphone, but I didn't even bother installing it. I don't like to use my phone when I'm driving even if I actually could hear it, which I doubt since the top is never up. My car has factory Bluetooth, and I've only used it maybe 10 times in over 6 years.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Jeepin Jimmy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again to all who have responded...it's really not what I expected. While the benefits of wireless music is a given, I really thought alot of you would say that speaking/hearing a conversation on the phone is impossible...but that doesn't seem the case. As such I'll start looking at the 3 brands mentioned thus far, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine. Thru the years I have owned Pioneer and Kenwood and have been satisfied with both. Since the acoustics in our beloved jeeps suck, I really don't believe that there is that much of a noticible sound difference between any of the brands, and so will probably go with that which offer the most bang for the buck option wise....no Chinese ebay crap for sure, just known established brands.
Been really busy at work and with kid's high school graduation coming up I realistically won't be shopping around for a week or two. So if anyone wants to add their comments please feel free to do so.
Thanks again,
Jim
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #14
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I like to order from Crutchfield. They have good prices and give you everything you need to install.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jimmy View Post
Thanks again to all who have responded...it's really not what I expected. While the benefits of wireless music is a given, I really thought alot of you would say that speaking/hearing a conversation on the phone is impossible...but that doesn't seem the case. As such I'll start looking at the 3 brands mentioned thus far, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine. Thru the years I have owned Pioneer and Kenwood and have been satisfied with both. Since the acoustics in our beloved jeeps suck, I really don't believe that there is that much of a noticible sound difference between any of the brands, and so will probably go with that which offer the most bang for the buck option wise....no Chinese ebay crap for sure, just known established brands.
Been really busy at work and with kid's high school graduation coming up I realistically won't be shopping around for a week or two. So if anyone wants to add their comments please feel free to do so.
Thanks again,
Jim
Upgrade your front speakers to 5.25" makes quite the difference.

Also, the chinese crap.. lol.. Thats pretty much 90% of the electronics out there and even one of the three reputable brands your buying will be manufactured there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
I like to order from Crutchfield. They have good prices and give you everything you need to install.

Last unit I installed that was for a Toyota, was excellent service from crutchfield. Prompt shipping, they included all neccessary adapters ($0) same thing locally would of costed me probably close to $70-90 more, while crutchfield was quite a bit cheaper and included everythig I needed straight to my door.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.