Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

blown sub

887 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MSHarnett 
#1 ·
Well it seems I blew out one of my subs. I took a look at it today and the cone has seperated from the coil. Not sure one tech names here, haha. Anyway, what would be a good replacement speaker for dual 12s in a bandpass box? I kinda wanna stay with Rockford Fosgate, but anyone have suggestions. Oh yeah, and the are powered by an 800w amp, so nothing crazy.

#2 ·
You could get a pair of 12" kicker cvr's. they will run you about $140 on ebay and they sound really good. I am currently running a 10 inch sealed in the back of my jeep, and like it. The 12's are 400 rms, which should be good with your amp, and DVC so you can wire them up how you please.

#4 ·
I like the Kickers and of course the Rockfords, but my biggest concern is airspace/effieceny. I have a bandpass box which as you know has lots of airspace, but efficient, well not really. The kickers seem pretty pricey if you ask me, I'm not to big on audio anymore, so most of my money goes for off-road type stuff.
Anyway, do you guys think those speaker will work well in my box?

Another thing, the current config of the wiring is bridged. The speakers I have now have 4 plugs so you cna do this. Will those speakers work with that?

#5 ·
one DVC or dual voice coil sub will have two black and two red. I assume you mean connectors or places that you connect the speaker wire in other words.

#7 ·
I know you said you wanted to stick with Rockford, but check out JL Audio as well...they have great stuff man
And the subs/speakers arnt too crazy

#8 ·
well I like JL, but to me they seem to expensive for what you get, I think your pretty much buying a name. A few friends of mine have JLs all diffrent series and they do sound great, but for the money, just doesn't seem worth it.

What do you guys think of MA Audio. I know a wholeseller that'll give me some real cheap if ya know what I mean. I have MA tweets that are awesome, so are the subs any good?

#9 ·
I'm a big JL fan due to their power and quality in one nice package (and great build qualiy). But RF and Kicker are good bang-for-the-buck subs. BUT... a band pass box is designed very specifically for the subs they use. I'd replace them with exactly what was in there and make sure you're not over-powering them or sending them into clipping (too much gain).

Personally, I'd get rid of the bandpass box and get some quality sealed (or even ported) subs and save yourself some room in the process...

#10 ·
Yeah I here ya about the bandpass boxes. They deffinatly aren't the best, for me mostly cause its huge, but I like it. I mean I know that a sealed box will have much better quality, but I really don't care now. I used to be more into the audio thing, but now all my money goes for off road stuff. Anyway, I'll call up RF and see what they say, maybe I can get a new style speaker that will work with the box. If not, then I guess I'll look into JL, Kicker, or MA

Thanks alot guys, you've really been a big help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.