bigger cb antenna? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > bigger cb antenna?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
tank12983
1995 ZJ 

half length = 468/freq in mhz, quarter = 234/freq. in mhz (in ft.). I think cb is 27mhz so 8 2/3ft. half length 4 1/3ft. quarter. On a different note I got my ham license about a week ago KD2AVX

Unread 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tank your claculations are off. 1/4 wave is app 9.8 ft.
SpenceIFD what about raising the antenna on the jeep to a higher area. You should get good transmission and reception with the 102 whip however if it is low on the jeep and close to the body you could be limiting the performance. Something like a hood channel mount. I have mine off the windshield light bracket. the 2 ft Wilson does well there. I've seen guide vehicles on the hi way with a mast & antenna up to 20 ft. But that was just a raised antenna.
Also if you looked through the Firestick tech info I linked up there is a section on how far you could transmit and what limits the transmission. If you haven't already I suggest you take a look.
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
SpenceIFD

Thanks jp that was actually helpful I have it on the back fender right under my window but you think that would be to low?
Unread 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have picked up Hawaii on my 4' Firestick and I am in Indiana. When you have skip it is not hard to pick up other states.
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceIFD View Post
Thanks jp that was actually helpful I have it on the back fender right under my window but you think that would be to low?
Fill out your profile and post pics. I have no clue if the antenna is too low as I don't know what vehicle you have or how far below the window the antenna is.
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #21
SpenceIFD

Am working on filling profile I don't have a computer just iPod and it won't let me upload
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #22
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceIFD View Post
Am working on filling profile I don't have a computer just iPod and it won't let me upload
Use something like photo bucket to load photos to the web and copy IMG link into your Post here.
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #23
SpenceIFD

I'll work on it but I'm replacing head gasket ATM so I have it torn down and am lil busy

Tags
antenna , cb , radio

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.