Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

bigger cb antenna?

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  SpenceIFD 
#1 ·
i got a 102" metal whip antenna and i was curious if any yall know where to find a bigger one like a site or something

#7 ·
When the solar activity is high, I pick up
out of state with a Little Wil! On the 25th
I was making contacts to Canada, Brazil,
and Puerto Rico, although it was on 10
meters using 100 watts. :laugh:

#13 ·
Ya I have a pager for emergency problems I can talk directly to fire and police so I just want a cb and I got an amplifier that kicks up my watt but still just wanted bigger whip not to be told other things

#16 ·
half length = 468/freq in mhz, quarter = 234/freq. in mhz (in ft.). I think cb is 27mhz so 8 2/3ft. half length 4 1/3ft. quarter. On a different note I got my ham license about a week ago KD2AVX :2thumbsup:

#17 ·
Tank your claculations are off. 1/4 wave is app 9.8 ft.
SpenceIFD what about raising the antenna on the jeep to a higher area. You should get good transmission and reception with the 102 whip however if it is low on the jeep and close to the body you could be limiting the performance. Something like a hood channel mount. I have mine off the windshield light bracket. the 2 ft Wilson does well there. I've seen guide vehicles on the hi way with a mast & antenna up to 20 ft. But that was just a raised antenna.
Also if you looked through the Firestick tech info I linked up there is a section on how far you could transmit and what limits the transmission. If you haven't already I suggest you take a look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.