Best place to mount an Amp in a YJ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Best place to mount an Amp in a YJ??

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-24-2001, 09:24 PM   #1
evilpsych

Best place to mount an Amp in a YJ??

ok.. some places i have picked out: under the driver'se seat, on one wheel well under a sub box, vertically along the front of the rear seat step-up.. basically, i'm looking for a good place to stick it where it will be out of the way and i can use all of my cargo space.. would building a box for it and venting it with fans work? i think it's a little big to fit into a tuffy box.

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2001, 05:09 AM   #2
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I removed backseat to fit my 4.5cu ft box and made another box with a double hinged lid to sit in front of my subs. This allows ppl to ride in the back and gives me alot more room.
Unread 10-25-2001, 01:05 PM   #3
evilpsych

heh.. that's the thing.. i want it to be a stealth install.. or at least a non-theftable one..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
Unread 10-25-2001, 04:17 PM   #4
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing someone could steal are my amps. My box is huge, you hafta have the tailgate open to take it out. I plan on bolting my amps to the floor. When bolting stuff down don't use phillips or flathead screws, use a star screw. I don't think theives carry star bits with them. To make mine more stealth I want to make the subs down firing.
Unread 10-26-2001, 01:39 AM   #5
Jefff

Has anyone found a decent 4/5 channel amp that fits under one of the front seats? I dont want to have anything in the back, as I use it a lot.
Jefff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2001, 03:13 AM   #6
braveheart98

Mines under my driver seat.

Quote:
Originally posted by bonehead99:
When bolting stuff down don't use phillips or flathead screws, use a star screw. I don't think theives carry star bits with them.
It would surprise you what they carry. What I used to bolt down my amp was anti-theft screws. Their use a standard flathead screwdriver to put them in. But the heads are designed so that the screwdriver can only turn the screw one way. If you try to turn them the other direction the screwdriver just slips off the head. If I ever have the need to take them out I'll have to drill them & use a easy out. I picked the screws up at the local hardware store. Another cool Idea I seen posted was using various size bolts to fasten their equipment. A thief doesn't want to take the time messing around with trying to find the right wrench for each bolt. It worked out for the person. Well sort of did... Their jeep was broke into and the crook couldn't get his stereo equipment. But instead of just leaving, they smashed it all.
Unread 10-26-2001, 04:00 AM   #7
evilpsych

puddle splasher.. the only 5 channel amp i've seen, (non competition) is the sony xplod XM-1505SX which is what i'm going with.. i'll let you knwo how it sounds and where i installed it with pics..

Unread 10-26-2001, 10:56 AM   #8
OhYeah

Hey,

A crowbar will rip any of those screw out, and most of the thiefs have, or have access to one of those. And the problem is they really don't care if they damage the amp or the Jeep for that matter, ain't their stuff. My recommendation is L brackets, lots and lots of L brackets for your box and mount your amps under you back seat and figure out a way to keep your back seat from folding forward. Also get a nice alarm.

Peace,

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2001, 01:28 PM   #9
Willis91YJ

Both Alpine, Audibahn and clarion used to make 5-channel amps. Let me know what you're looking at price wise and I'll get back to you
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2001, 02:25 PM   #10
evilpsych

well.. the idea is to make it look like there's not an amp there, while still allowing me full cargo area and the ability to remove or fold forward the back seat... perhaps it would be best to go with a multiple amp system so they'd be smaller and easier to fit into the tuffy boxes..

Unread 11-04-2001, 06:24 PM   #11
my litte red yj

i mounted my amp for my sub under the rear seat away from any deep water when i put my rear cover on and i also did the same as above i put L brackets on my box in the rear and also did the same for my 2 6x9 boxes on the fender wheel's lots of screws and bracket's
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2001, 02:03 AM   #12
eltj

The best trick that I found is to make a wood or preferable fiber glass false floor on the pass side torward the front as thin as possible . Vent the amp rack as much as possible as well. You may not have to vent it, it will depend on the amp and you will have to experement. If done low profile your factory carpet will usualy cover it and look fairly stock.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.