Best Ipod Solution!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Best Ipod Solution!!!!!

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-18-2004, 02:08 AM   #1
RipcordAFF

Best Ipod Solution!!!!!

FINALLY! An ipod solution has risen from the ashes. I have been aching to find a way to connect my 02 sport radio to my ipod but the head unit does not have cd changer controls. This means that those fancy PIE converters (if you dont konw, they are simply converters that make your head unit think that your ipod is a enormous cd changer) would not work. Crestfallen, i purchased a fm transmitter from Monster. As you all probably know, its sound quality was awful...even for a jeep. Forever hopeful, i searched further and found.....(drum beats please) the FM MODULATOR! TA DA! anways all it does is it splices into the antenna quick disconnect that is conveniently located behind the glovebox and converters the ipods signal into a fm signal that is HARDWIRED to the antenna. Result? excellet sound quality....at least for a jeep. I wired this modulator into the 12v, along with a belkin car kit (to charge the ipod) and hid everything under the console. Ill try to get some pics up soon, but its by far the best solution!!

RipcordAFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
dieseljeep

Stupid me, thats what I thought the FM transmitter was. I have been using an Alpine changer for over 10 years in my main ride that is FM modulated. It's been great. Can't imagine why it wouldn't have been the biggest option available for an Ipod. This is a great tip for anyone wanting to do this. How much was it, & who has it?
dieseljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Rombus

Hmmmm, how does the audio compair to line out into an amplifer or though the PIE stuff? This may be a GREAT Holdover for me untill i can get an alpine headunit or some other better solution
Rombus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
Roodki
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome. I've been looking for ways to connect my ipod, and havent came up with anything, but this sounds pretty cool. Where'd you get all the stuff needed to connedt it and how much did it all cost?

Oh, and I do have an afetrmarket pioneer deck. Would that PIE thing you mentioned work with that do you think?
Unread 12-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #5
RipcordAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roodki
Awesome. I've been looking for ways to connect my ipod, and havent came up with anything, but this sounds pretty cool. Where'd you get all the stuff needed to connedt it and how much did it all cost?

Oh, and I do have an afetrmarket pioneer deck. Would that PIE thing you mentioned work with that do you think?
Yeah, you probably dont need to do this if you have a pioneer deck, as long as you have aux in , such as cd changer control. The quality is still a FM signal, but it is the best possible fm sounding signal you could have, so its not quite like a direct line in. The best part? Its only 35 bucks!
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...0&loc=111&sp=1
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
mr_user

I just got an iPod myself, and am completely dissatisfied with the sound quality using old school tape adapters. This modulator sounds great, but will it be compatible with my stock Mopar head unit? Also, is installation terribly difficult?

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
RipcordAFF

i also have a mopar head unit, works perfectly, installation takes about 3 minutes, everything is very reachable. the antenna disconnect is right behind the glove box, and the 12v are wherever you happen to find it, i used the cig lighter
Unread 12-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #8
JayJeep

And this will work easily with the RB1 navigation headunit or no?
JayJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2004, 06:39 AM   #9
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

All it is is an FM signal so it will work with any headunit.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2004, 10:12 AM   #10
JayJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHavok797
All it is is an FM signal so it will work with any headunit.

k thanks. I kinda figured that, but u know, I had to ask to make sure.
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #11
mr_user

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.a...70&loc=111&sp=1

Anyone buy from this outlet? As long as I buy an FM Modulator, should this work? Any additional cables, etc. needed?

Let me see if I got this straight, pretty much plug and play from the iPod to the Modulator, and than into the antenna? What does the antenna port look like and is this a direct fit or does it require some splicing? In other words, How exactly would I hook it up?

Thanks a bunch, electrical newbie here..

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #12
RipcordAFF

that is the exact link that i bought it from. There is no splicing involved with the antenna, just a male\female end that fits right into the jeeps antenna quick disconnect that (in the TJ) is located right behind the glovebox. The only splicing is with the 12v needed to power the beast. Works pretty simple like
Unread 01-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #13
lauxie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipcordAFF
FINALLY! An ipod solution has risen from the ashes. I have been aching to find a way to connect my 02 sport radio to my ipod but the head unit does not have cd changer controls. This means that those fancy PIE converters (if you dont konw, they are simply converters that make your head unit think that your ipod is a enormous cd changer) would not work. Crestfallen, i purchased a fm transmitter from Monster. As you all probably know, its sound quality was awful...even for a jeep. Forever hopeful, i searched further and found.....(drum beats please) the FM MODULATOR! TA DA! anways all it does is it splices into the antenna quick disconnect that is conveniently located behind the glovebox and converters the ipods signal into a fm signal that is HARDWIRED to the antenna. Result? excellet sound quality....at least for a jeep. I wired this modulator into the 12v, along with a belkin car kit (to charge the ipod) and hid everything under the console. Ill try to get some pics up soon, but its by far the best solution!!

where are those pics????

'04 Rubicon
5 spd
no cruise...ever
stock besides cheap + basic mods
lauxie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #14
RipcordAFF

well the problem is that i further tweaked my setup, i had the fm modulator hidden sitting in front of the shifter, on top of the airbag doohickey, but i found out there was extra room underneath the center console (where the shifter meets the ground, in front of the cup holders), so i just shoved eveything under there. So there is nothing to take a pic of, except one wire running out from underneath that i plug my ipod into, sorry though! its still an exceptional setup IMO
Unread 01-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
hardwarp

although yes that will work...if your an audiofile such as myself...or if you just plain old like quality this is not the solution...your taking a digial signal and striping it off its quality....if you have subs and other aftermarket equipment the sound quality is going to drive you nuts...

although rock on if you dont mind the radio.,...but for me one of the main reasons I dont listen to the radio is the fact that the radio sounds like garbage...this is just my humble opinion of course.
hardwarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.