Benefit to grounding to battery rather than frame for a light install? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Benefit to grounding to battery rather than frame for a light install?

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
ex4rings
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Benefit to grounding to battery rather than frame for a light install?

I am installing Hella 500FFs on my XJ today and after fully converting the 20g wiring harness to 12g I wondering if there was any added benefit to running the relay ground and lights ground to the battery rather then grounding to the frame like I always have? If I would get better light output for some reason grounding to the battery I would do so, however I am not a big fan of having tons of wires off the battery terminals.

Thanks

ex4rings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why not something like a ground distribution block? That would keep your battery free from a lot of wires.

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
ex4rings
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
Why not something like a ground distribution block? That would keep your battery free from a lot of wires.
Never thought of that, actually never knew they existed. Do you lose any power draw by using them? Any downside at all?
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex4rings View Post
Never thought of that, actually never knew they existed. Do you lose any power draw by using them? Any downside at all?
A good chassis ground works fine, the battery ground should be going to both the engine and chassis and as long as the connections are clean and tight you shouldn't see much resistance. The only resistance you will see is within the wire itself, this is why it is best to keep your wires as short as possible. Over time wires will corrode and then heat will start to build up in the wires due to more resistance, the shorter the wire, the less resistance and less heat. Just make sure your wires can handle the amperage.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

One thing to remember is that if you ground to the battery, you're gonna want to fuse that ground lead. Otherwise, if for whatever reason the main battery ground corrodes/loosens/fails, the starter circuit is gonna find ground through whatever you wired up, should the ground side of the lights/etc actually be connected to the case... Not pretty.

For lights, I'd do chassis ground and fuggetaboudit.

...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
ex4rings
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
A good chassis ground works fine, the battery ground should be going to both the engine and chassis and as long as the connections are clean and tight you shouldn't see much resistance. The only resistance you will see is within the wire itself, this is why it is best to keep your wires as short as possible. Over time wires will corrode and then heat will start to build up in the wires due to more resistance, the shorter the wire, the less resistance and less heat. Just make sure your wires can handle the amperage.
Yeah, I think that is the route I'll go and just ground to the chassis. I think I'll grab one of those Blue Sea Power Blocks to at least keep the battery clean since I'm running upgraded headlight harness, fog lights, roof lights and rear lights; don't really want a birds nest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1pf View Post
One thing to remember is that if you ground to the battery, you're gonna want to fuse that ground lead. Otherwise, if for whatever reason the main battery ground corrodes/loosens/fails, the starter circuit is gonna find ground through whatever you wired up, should the ground side of the lights/etc actually be connected to the case... Not pretty.

For lights, I'd do chassis ground and fuggetaboudit.

...tom
Thanks Tom, good info I am defeintely just going to ground to chassis since its lights I am concerned about. Happen to know the positives if I decide to increase the gauge of the leads to the stock power source, alternator, and ground, was thinking of replacing them all with 4g.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.