Battery Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Battery Problems

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
ruby red

2007 JK Wrangler 

Battery Problems

I have a 2007 JK Rubicon. I installed a Warn winch, Low Jack, Karr Track & another security system (The security systems may seem a bit extreme, but my last jeep was stolen, taken down to Mexico and stripped, so Iím not taking any chances with this jeep). When I installed the last security system, my OEM battery would not support the few extras I put on the jeep. I had changed out the battery 3 times in a year; so I installed the Benchmark Designs Stage 3 Dual Battery setup and used Optima Yellow top batteries a little over a year ago. The setup worked great in the beginning, but now both batteries are dead within a weekís time. I was told after I bought the Optima, that these batteries are not that good, so maybe Iím using batteries that canít handle the extra load. I have checked every new electrical device I have installed and everything is grounded, so that is not the problem. I want to install a CB and Ham radio, but I canít until I figure out a solution to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Unread 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

First off Your security systems should not be draining that much. They are generally passive systems. I would check for an incorrect ground draining your battery.

Secondly your battery only holds so much of a charge. You still need to charge them. I'd think about upgrading your alternator as well.

Lastly Optima batteries aren't bad. Something in your rig is definitely off if you are draining 2 batteries as you say.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
ruby red

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, Vin. The problems started with the last security install. I will start there.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Measure current draw from the battery with engine off key either on or off. If above 100ma there is an issue. Start pulling fuses until your under 50 MA. Take note of what fuse drops the most current out. That is likely your issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.