Battery charger? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Battery charger?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-05-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Drskullz

Battery charger?

So I would like to charge my pop up trailer while driving via my 2011 Compass but all I have is a 4 pin wire harness. So how do I do it? And Go.......

Drskullz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
bubbadiesel250
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well you could do it two ways. Run power and ground to the back and use an Anderson plug or wire up a 7 or 6 way plug and do the same on the trailer
bubbadiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Drskullz

So if I run a Anderson plug to the back of the jeep and and wire the other end up to the battery would that cause any problems with my jeep battery. I also would install a 30 amp fuse near the jeep battery.
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
bubbadiesel250
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Won't hurt a thing. definitely use a fuse with it for safety. Use their 50amp ones. Their small and pretty cheap. Get a set and some battery cable, if you can't get any cable. Buy some jumper cables and cut off the clamps and BAM! instant battery cable.
bubbadiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drskullz View Post
So if I run a Anderson plug to the back of the jeep and and wire the other end up to the battery would that cause any problems with my jeep battery. I also would install a 30 amp fuse near the jeep battery.
It should not - I've done similar setups in the past. You may use an Anderson SB50 with 8AWG or 6AWG wire for safety, a "local ground" at the plug (so you only have to run one lead,) and fuse for about half of the alternator's max output rating (it's possible you can run more than 30A to the trailer!)

I would be highly inclined to run either an isolator or a solenoid to control power to the SB50 to the trailer, unless you're sure you will remember to always disconnect the trailer when you've shut down the engine.

(A 7-way will only be good for something like 20A. Andersons can typically be "surged" for twice their rating, will sustain a higher max rating anyhow, and are easier to install than wiring up a 7-way barrel plug.)
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Drskullz

Thanks guys for the input I will let you know how it turns out. I am also open to any other suggestions, so if you got them I will hear them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.