Backup lights -wiring SPDT switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Backup lights -wiring SPDT switch

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
IAJack

Backup lights -wiring SPDT switch

I need some help wiring in a SPDT (single pole double throw switch). First off I have seen Stu's site and the diagram there. I am still a little slow and need some help.

I want to wire my aux. backup lights so that in on position 1 they will come on automatically when in reverse. In the middle position they wont come on and in position 2 they would be on all the time.

The problem I don't understand about Stu's site is the switch itself? I have a switch with three connectors on it. The diagram on the switch package says:

Access.(1) Batt. Access(2)
--- --- ----

This would be through a relay of course.

So if I understand Su's writeup - the center terminal of the switch is actually ground and not power?

Any and all help appreciated.

Last edited by IAJack; 03-17-2007 at 01:17 PM..
IAJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
kencaz

I would do it like this:

Relay: (SPST or SPDT)

Pin 30 to Battery (fused for lights)
Pin 87 to Lights (+)
Pin 86 to Ground
Pin 85 to Center (supply), on SPDT switch

Switch: (SPDT Center OFF)

Center (supply) to 85 on relay.
Load-1 to backup switch
Load-2 to 12v Constant (un-switched) supply

In center position AUX lights will not go on.

In position one AUX lights will go on with backup lights

In position two AUX lights will be on all the time reguardless of backup lights or ignition on.

KC

note: This will not effect the factory backup lights.

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used two relays.

Basically it is designed so that when I shift into reverse, it cuts off the switch's ability to power the lights. This way if I leave the switch on and throw it into reverse, I don't blow anything up.
EDIT: Not sure why the picture is so small, if you need it blown up let me know, I'll email it.
Unread 03-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
kencaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD831
Basically it is designed so that when I shift into reverse, it cuts off the switch's ability to power the lights. This way if I leave the switch on and throw it into reverse, I don't blow anything up.
I don't see why that would blow anything up unless you were getting power from another 12V source and not the same battery.

If your lights were on and you ran a jumper between the positive on the battery terminal to the lights would it blow up? No...

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
IAJack

thanks ken, I just needed a confirmation on the way you posted it.

This is looking like tomorrows project. Ever since getting tinted windows and LiteDOTS I cannot see anywhere backing up!
Unread 03-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD831
I used two relays.

EDIT: Not sure why the picture is so small, if you need it blown up let me know, I'll email it.

Why not bypass Relay one when powering from relay two, it makes extra connections you don't need.

IMHO, it should work.

Do it right the first time !

Last edited by Scrambler82; 03-18-2007 at 04:48 PM..
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.