Backup (and Frontward) Camera Types and Placement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Backup (and Frontward) Camera Types and Placement

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Backup (and Frontward) Camera Types and Placement

Well I've got a Kenwood radio with a backup camera input and I'd love to add one once I have the funds. I know there are CMOS and CCD type cameras, (and I'm pretty sure CCD are higher quality, at a price) but I'd like to see what everyone is using and what everyone's thoughts are on backup/front-facing cameras.

They need to be waterproof and durable, of course. (They're going on a Jeep after all ). They also need to be placed where I can hook up a trailer by myself (front and rear). I see where lisence plate backup lights are very popular and an easy install, but I'm not sure those will give me the viewing angle I need to hook up a trailer by myself.

Running two cameras, I know I'll have to install a switch. I'd like a 3 position switch if possible... normal operation (I.E. reverse camera comes on when WJ is put in reverse), reverse camera when I flip the switch one way, and forward camera when I flip the switch the other way.

The front camera is for the trail, checking to make sure there are no unseen obstacles, etc. I'll also add a front hitch in the future so I'll need to be able to hook up a trailer by myself with this camera. I'll only do this a few times, but I'd still like it to work properly.

I want to spend as little as possible on this project, obviously, but I know the higher quality cameras will be quite expensive. They both need to be extremely durable.

What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT: I'd also like to be able to feed the front camera to my iPod or phone or computer to record video when on the trail. I have a 2nd generation iPod touch and I'll have a crappy phone... so that's prob a no-go lol.

Unread 06-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
JeepJeep2012
2012 WK 

I am looking to hook up a Sony XA-R800c ($125 Amazon) to a Clarion HU. I was wondering if an OEM camera would run with an after market HU. 2012 WK
JeepJeep2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

IMO the only good camera to have up front would be a FLIR unit. Not exactly cheap but at least you can see the wildlife in the road well in advance and be able to slow down and avoid them at night. I know a few guys that run them and would have totaled their rigs a few times without it.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup , camera , frontward , video

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.