Backup (and Frontward) Camera Types and Placement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Backup (and Frontward) Camera Types and Placement

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Backup (and Frontward) Camera Types and Placement

Well I've got a Kenwood radio with a backup camera input and I'd love to add one once I have the funds. I know there are CMOS and CCD type cameras, (and I'm pretty sure CCD are higher quality, at a price) but I'd like to see what everyone is using and what everyone's thoughts are on backup/front-facing cameras.

They need to be waterproof and durable, of course. (They're going on a Jeep after all ). They also need to be placed where I can hook up a trailer by myself (front and rear). I see where lisence plate backup lights are very popular and an easy install, but I'm not sure those will give me the viewing angle I need to hook up a trailer by myself.

Running two cameras, I know I'll have to install a switch. I'd like a 3 position switch if possible... normal operation (I.E. reverse camera comes on when WJ is put in reverse), reverse camera when I flip the switch one way, and forward camera when I flip the switch the other way.

The front camera is for the trail, checking to make sure there are no unseen obstacles, etc. I'll also add a front hitch in the future so I'll need to be able to hook up a trailer by myself with this camera. I'll only do this a few times, but I'd still like it to work properly.

I want to spend as little as possible on this project, obviously, but I know the higher quality cameras will be quite expensive. They both need to be extremely durable.

What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT: I'd also like to be able to feed the front camera to my iPod or phone or computer to record video when on the trail. I have a 2nd generation iPod touch and I'll have a crappy phone... so that's prob a no-go lol.

Unread 06-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
JeepJeep2012
2012 WK 

I am looking to hook up a Sony XA-R800c ($125 Amazon) to a Clarion HU. I was wondering if an OEM camera would run with an after market HU. 2012 WK
JeepJeep2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

IMO the only good camera to have up front would be a FLIR unit. Not exactly cheap but at least you can see the wildlife in the road well in advance and be able to slow down and avoid them at night. I know a few guys that run them and would have totaled their rigs a few times without it.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
backup , camera , frontward , video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.