Auxillary power help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Auxillary power help

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
JohnnyH842
2002 WJ 

Auxillary power help

Hey guys,

So I'm slowly upgrading a few things here in my 02 Laredo and I've seemed to hit a bit of a power struggle. I've upgraded my entire sound system (200W output head unit, 800W mono amp) which worked out amazingly. However, I've noticed that when I've got the music cranked up and the subs are hitting hard, my lights (dash/high beams/low beams) dim along with the music. Now it is kind of a cool effect, but I know it means somethings not right. I am planning on mounting a set of Hella Black Magic lamps on the brush guard, and I am worried about not having enough power. I still have the stock battery in it, and have looked into replacing it with an 800 cold cranking amp battery. If anyone is decent with automotive electricity, could you please tell me if this will solve my problem?

Thanks for you time,
John

JohnnyH842 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ahhh I'm hitting the same wall with my XJ. There are a couple solutions I've had thrown at me lemme explain a couple options. Stock battery... from 2002... no good. You're technically supposed to get a new battery every 3-5 years, you're just a little bit overdue. Look into Optima Batteries, they are very very durable and can take a serious beating, good for high power applications. Then look at getting a capacitor for your amp. Basically a capacitor stores electricity and as your sub amp punches out the tunes it requests more power on the strong beats. The capacitor will feed it the extra power it needs and then recharge itself so the draw from the system is constant so in the off time the amp isnt demanding a ton of power the capacitor is charging up. Lastly, if you're still having problems you may need to invest in a higher output alternator. You've got the 4.0 and you're completely base model, I'm not too familiar with WJs but that usually translates into low 70-90amp output alternator. If you have the money, upgrade to a mean green alternator. Otherwise check around the forums for alternator swaps that will fit your 4.0. I know my 4.0 can take a 160amp alternator out of a durango so thats a huge upgrade

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
JohnnyH842
2002 WJ 

Thanks a ton for your help! I've heard a lot about Optima batteries as well and I'm definitely going to look into that and the amp capacitor. Think I could just splice that right in with my existing power line for the amp?
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the capacitor goes inline with your amps power wire. That is, you cut the power wire to the amp and the capacitor has an input from the battery and an output to the amp

Battery--->fuse--->capacitor--->amplifier

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
JohnnyH842
2002 WJ 

Sweet deal. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
lostissues
1987 MJ Comanche 

caps are a band aid, they are not a solution. look into upgrading your big 3 (google "big 3 upgrade" the12volt.com is a good site) the big 3 refer to your main power cables in your vehicle, battery to alternator, battery to ground, and engine ground. next step would be new battery, deep cycle look into optima yellow or blue tops, there are also other similar batteries on the market like odyssey and a lot of car audio companies that re brand to their name. you will find people who swear buy optima and some who hate them. I myself had a bad yellow top (annoying as heck) and got it warrantied and have had no problem with the new one. then upgrade the alternator if the problem still exists. a capacitor will relieve a little strain on your battery but probably not enough to solve your problem.

good luck.
lostissues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The big three are very helpful, I can't believe I forgot those. The cap is still a large compliment to your system and will help distribute the amp's load more evenly. Plus, if you're investing in a very nice battery and a charging system(alternator), keeping a smooth draw off of the new battery and alternator is a MUST. The basic principle is that when your sub amp needs to punch the subs hard it spikes a bunch of power off of the battery which is why you see the lights dim.

Upgrading the "big three" will make it easier for the alternator to charge the battery and the ground will make a better connection between the amp and the battery which may improve amp efficiency.

Upgrading the battery gives you more amperage to work with, that is, when the amp wants 60amps of power the battery will still have more juice left to push the headlights and such.

Upgrading the alternator will make sure the battery stays as charged as it should and replenish it when the amp is drawing alot of power. This is why when I crank the sub on my xj which has a 70amp or so alternator the lights dim but my best friend has an 05 wk hemi with a 136amp or so alternator and it doesnt break a sweat when the subs crank.

Adding a cap will make the power spikes less of spikes and more of an even draw. In no way will it prevent the battery from discharging but rather it smooths out the power draw so lights aren't dimming and when the amp needs more power it doesnt have to take a toll on the battery. In fact, if you didnt know, capacitors are like little mini batteries and are designed to store up electricity and then on command dump it all really quickly into the line. When your amp wants more power, instead of surging the battery the cap will dump its electricity instead and give it to the amp and then recharge (constant smoothed out draw on the battery). All of this happens in fractions of a second so it is all seamless

Matt

Tags
battery , electric , help needed , lights , sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.