Auto Meter Gauge Pegged out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Auto Meter Gauge Pegged out

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
howmany
1977 DJ 

Auto Meter Gauge Pegged out

Hello, I have spent all day today and yesterday trying to hook up my new Auto Meter electric water temp gauge. My problem is:

If I hook the ground to the "grounding bracket" that all the other various electrical components are hooked to, the gauge Peggs all the way out immediately and won't budge. If I hook the ground to anything else, such as the firewall, engine block, etc, the gauge sits at 100 and won't budge. I have already tried two temperature senders, and same result. Tried a ground from the sender to the firewall, or block, and didn't do anytningI followed the directions exact, they were very straight forward. Run a cord from the temp sender which is located at the back of the block close to the firewall to S on the gauge, and another cord from the ignition terminal to I on the gaugee, and connect a cord from the ground in the middle of the gauge to a ground source!
Basically idiot proof, so what am I doing wrong? Vehicle is a 77 DJ-5.

Any tips are appreciated, I have read and read, and got know where.

howmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
howmany
1977 DJ 

At this point, I have tried everything I could think of, and everything anyone has ever said to try as far as the Internet goes...lol I believe It might be the gauge. I have contacted Auto Meter, and will see if they have any different suggestions before I send in for a replacement.
howmany is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.