Auto Meter Gauge Pegged out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Auto Meter Gauge Pegged out

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
howmany
1977 DJ 

Auto Meter Gauge Pegged out

Hello, I have spent all day today and yesterday trying to hook up my new Auto Meter electric water temp gauge. My problem is:

If I hook the ground to the "grounding bracket" that all the other various electrical components are hooked to, the gauge Peggs all the way out immediately and won't budge. If I hook the ground to anything else, such as the firewall, engine block, etc, the gauge sits at 100 and won't budge. I have already tried two temperature senders, and same result. Tried a ground from the sender to the firewall, or block, and didn't do anytningI followed the directions exact, they were very straight forward. Run a cord from the temp sender which is located at the back of the block close to the firewall to S on the gauge, and another cord from the ignition terminal to I on the gaugee, and connect a cord from the ground in the middle of the gauge to a ground source!
Basically idiot proof, so what am I doing wrong? Vehicle is a 77 DJ-5.

Any tips are appreciated, I have read and read, and got know where.

howmany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
howmany
1977 DJ 

At this point, I have tried everything I could think of, and everything anyone has ever said to try as far as the Internet goes...lol I believe It might be the gauge. I have contacted Auto Meter, and will see if they have any different suggestions before I send in for a replacement.
howmany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.