Audio System Installed - pics and video - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Audio System Installed - pics and video

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Audio System Installed - pics and video

Hey Everyone!

Well, to start this thread, I need to thank SirGCal. Without his help, my design wouldn't have turned out so well, and woulnd't have sounded so great. He taught me how to build a box and what kind of subs,amps,etc. components to consider.

And the results? Well, I'll dive right in.

Here's my box:

Alright, so that should give you a good idea of how it works. This box has cutouts for the 3rd brakelight, door handle, and has an upper shelf for an amp, as well as a lower slide out shelf for another amp. It's missing 2 legs which I need to fix. As it sits right now, the bottom amp just sits in the tub, but is supposed to slide out. I'll get that fixed later. It's not too big of a deal right now. The box is stuffed with polyfil, liquid nailed, spray with undercoating (sub chambers), and covered in herculiner. It is air tight. No doubt about that. With the top down and the seat back, the box is invisible. The amps are out of the weather, but airflow still flows through the bottom back portion of the box.

My system pushes 200 watts to each sub, via the Alpine MRP M450. The bass is very clean, rolls off nicely, and is easy to differentiate sub notes. It has a good amount of punch, and doesn't break a sweat at highway speeds. I pulled the top off and ran doorless today (very windy) and at highway speeds I can easily hear the bass, and there is still a good amount in reserve. Tailgate parties, trail rides and camping will be all the better with the great sound.

It gets loud too. Very loud. Upsetting the neighbors kind of loud.

As for the speakers, I went with focal. I was wanting good midbass and these deliver past my expectations. The Focals have smooth highs, not ear piercing though. I can honestly say that half of my bass comes from these speakers. They have a little bit of bump to them too. I'm 100% satisfied with the Focal speakers. There are very few brand name speakers that could out do them. Worth every penny to me.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some pics of the wiring, and sub terminals. The last picture is the ground wiring.

And a jungle of wires

My system sounded pretty good just adding the subs, but the stock speakers couldn't keep up, even with the alpine head unit pushing them. The Focals transformed the music. Just echoes coming off of the microphone from a singer come through. They get much louder than I will ever need, and all the details shine through even at high volumes. These speakers are being amped via the MRP F250 and see 40 watts per speaker. My system pushes ~560 watts rms.

I really had to be creative with how I was going to pull this off, but it works amazingly well. The sound is breathtaking. I run a soundboard at my church, and I'm familiar with deep, smooth bass and didn't think I could get that kind of quality in car audio, but I have.

The brains of the system is the Alpine CDA-9886. Wonderful little player. Looks very nice, has more features than most any other stereo, and is very easy to use and adjust on the fly.

My subs are the JL Audio 8w3v3 subs. They require very little box volume and are PLENTY, even at highway speeds to pump out the bass. I listen to a bit of techno and a lot of rock and some country. Very rarely I'll listen to rap. I don't need loud, pounding, window shaking bass. I have all the volume I need and my system sounds better than anything else that has ever pulled up next to me thumping on the highway.

Here's one last pic of the whole system from a distance.

I can say that no part of the system dissapoints me. I have a little video of the subs/amps/box that I made too that I'll post up.

If you have specific questions, post 'em up!

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †

Last edited by bman9089; 03-25-2008 at 08:33 PM..
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the video. Took forever to load up.

Anyways, I popped in what little techno I have to run the subs through their paces. Keep in mind that the frequencies that the sub hits, can not be picked up by the camera microphone. The sub audio quality is completely different that what you hear (and can't hear ). So far, I have no rattles except for a small rattle coming from the top shelf. I'll be fixing that as well. I was hoping to show some of the excursion at the end, but I would have had to really turn up the volume (and piss of the neighbors ), and the angle of the subs didn't work so bare with me on that.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Mon Don
2004 TJ Wrangler 

congrats on the completeion of your setup. Ive been following it since the beginning. Wanted to say thanks for putting all your problems and trials up online for the rest of us to learn from.

And that box is very, very sharp, btw.
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
gudoldboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That looks realy nice Bman!!! Glad you finally got her done.. I am still looking for speakers for the TJ.. Im running Alpine type X 6.5's in my truck and they are a bit to high pitched to me... Im going to have to find a Focal dealer to see how I like them..
The box looks very good.. Nice job!!!!

[QUOTE=Keelentime;5197679]just ordered my new bikini and bra....

Thank god this is a jeep forum, or that would have sounded a bit fruity :rofl:[/QUOTE]
gudoldboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Don View Post
congrats on the completeion of your setup. Ive been following it since the beginning. Wanted to say thanks for putting all your problems and trials up online for the rest of us to learn from.

And that box is very, very sharp, btw.
Hey, no problem. I walked into this part of the forum not knowing anything about audio. I didn't understand ohms to begin with. It's interesting stuff though. Honestly, my setup is cleaner and clearer than what I listened to at retail stores which was a huge surprise for me. I figured that with their sound booths, and speakers with enclosures that I'd be lucky to get somewhere near the quality.

I was really stepping out with this. I hadn't ever done any woodwork before, so this was new for me. I borrowed a circular saw, a rotary saw and a handheld sander from my brother in law and went to town. Most of the cuts were pretty easy. IMO, if I can do this, other newbies can as well. If anyone is truly interested, I can put together a google sketchup file which will have all the dimensions for the box. Or you can make something similar. Tripple 8s maybe? Or leave the center open for closed storage space. This project works so well, I'd be willing to help others put together something similar. I actually have more room in the center than I was expecting. It's something around 15" of width space and 12" of depth. You might even be able to squeeze in dual 10s instead of dual 8s.

One of my friends has a plasma cutter, so I'm thinking the next thing I'm going to do is create a grill for the open spot on the back. That should allow for air flow and also make the box more theft resistant.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 03-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #7
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudoldboy View Post
That looks realy nice Bman!!! Glad you finally got her done.. I am still looking for speakers for the TJ.. Im running Alpine type X 6.5's in my truck and they are a bit to high pitched to me... Im going to have to find a Focal dealer to see how I like them..
The box looks very good.. Nice job!!!!
Thanks!

I'll tell you that the Focals have better bass in the sound bars than they do in the front panel. Of course this is due to the pods providing an enclosure of sorts. I stuffed both the front panel with polyfill and the pods as well. Try some polyfill before you swap them out.

I like mellow speakers. Something with warm midbass, yet clear highs. I hate sharp speakers, they seem very 2 dimensional to me. The focals are very warm throughout the spectrum, but at the same time, they aren't so warm that the bass flattens the higher end of the spectrum. The highs, and the higher notes still shine through. They are all around a great speaker. I got a set for $130 from www.woofersetc.com.

I was thinking that maybe the subs would handle the midbass, but that just is too high for them. My subs hit all the notes that a bass guitar puts out, and the speakers hit the lowest notes of an electric guitar, that kind of thing. It just works really well. The factory system is somewhat confusing to the ears, IMO. You increase the bass and that muddies the stock speakers and they lose their clarity. On my system, I have the bass set low, the treble set high and the subwoofer (another setting on my head unit) set high. This makes the music sharper, yet doesn't get rid of the bass. The stock system makes it so you have either good sound coming from the speakers or good sound coming from the woofer. Finding a supreme balance was hard. Increase the bass on the stock system and the woofer started to pound a little (very little compared to my new subs), yet the speakers were choked and became muddied and loss clarity in the higher end of the spectrum. Increase the treble and the speakers got clearer but the woofer was close to non-existant at this point. That was my biggest complaint with the stock system.

Focal can be found at cartoys. They get $200 a set of speakers, so don't buy from them. I run the basic access line. You could even step up to the polyglass line if you like them more, but I thought that the highs were a bit much for me.

Good luck!

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 03-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the box cost me about $100 in materials if you count the herculiner. All I needed was the smaller can. 1 quart?

I dunno. They come in the large can and smaller can. The smaler can gave me enough for 2 coats. Herculiner is pretty good stuff for a user application.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 03-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey congrats on the completion of your system. Looks good by the way. It's extra rewarding when you can successfully accomplish your goals. Even though we want to get ourselves in a hurry to get it done just to hear how it sounds, the extra time and effort is worth it in the end. I did this stuff years ago, and since starting my system in the Jeep I forgot how time consuming it really is. Plus working 12-16 hour swing shifts is of no help either. Congrats again on your system.
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

BMAN, I am glad to see the box done!!!!! It looks great!!!!!! Also a hell of a write up. I cant wait to do my system! What made you go with the Focals for the mids instead of a speaker like Alpine or Pioneer?? I have always ran one of those for my systems. The reason I ask is because I have never herd of the Focals. Of course I have had the same system in two trucks now and havnt bought anything new in about 6 years. Again a great job!!!
Unread 03-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bman do you have a cardomain.com profile? You should make one...there aren't enuf jeeps on there with good sound ideas. Also you might consider using cascade deflex or dynaxorb pads in your dash to disperse the backwave. It'll make a difference (not enclosed or sealed door difference) enuf to warrant the $14 they cost.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
SirGCal

Nice work. Be sure to secure those wires so they don't slap the subs or box and what not.

Also, nice video but that poor camera mic can't handle it.. LOL! Wow, it sounded pretty scrappy with the mic reverb going on. But I know that's not what it really sounds like.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
Erek.Smith
1995 ZJ 

I think the box is pretty sweet. I'm not a huge fan of boxes that don't have material over them, but I understand that the vehicle isn't always going to be covered completely.

It could look a lot more clean if you secured the wires

Looks like you got those subs moving pretty well. Nice job!
Essential gear for America's heroes
Erek.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan99 View Post
BMAN, I am glad to see the box done!!!!! It looks great!!!!!! Also a hell of a write up. I cant wait to do my system! What made you go with the Focals for the mids instead of a speaker like Alpine or Pioneer?? I have always ran one of those for my systems. The reason I ask is because I have never herd of the Focals. Of course I have had the same system in two trucks now and havnt bought anything new in about 6 years. Again a great job!!!
Before I really started planning for everything, my friend was going to get a system and I went along with him. We just went to cartoys looking around and I wasn't impressed with much of anything other than Alpine. The type Ss were pretty good, not very bassy though. The type Rs were much better, not exactly what I liked, but they were getting close. We went over into the 'expensive' booth just to see what was in there and that's when I heard the Focals. They were out of my price range for how much I wanted to spend, but they honestly were the only ones I thought were a good upgrade over stock. Sales guy popped in a burnt CD with benny benassi on it that had a good amount of bass. The song was "satisfaction, greece dub". The speakers had a little bump to them, as they do now which was one thing that stood out. The highs were clear but the upper and mid spectrum just sounded clean, and there was a good amount of midbass compared to other speakers I listened too.

It was one of those things that I couldn't bring myself not to go with the Focal Speakers. I have no regrets purchasing them.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Bman do you have a cardomain.com profile? You should make one...there aren't enuf jeeps on there with good sound ideas. Also you might consider using cascade deflex or dynaxorb pads in your dash to disperse the backwave. It'll make a difference (not enclosed or sealed door difference) enuf to warrant the $14 they cost.
I've got polyfil behind them. Will that work as well?

† Christian Jeep Club †

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.