Audio swap from Civic to TJ sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Audio swap from Civic to TJ sport

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-03-2004, 03:34 AM   #1
thallex

Audio swap from Civic to TJ sport

I currently have some audio equipment in my civic that was installed around '97. Sorry i dont have exact model numbers of most of the equipment. There are 2 JLAudio 10w?'s, 2 MTX Thunder 280's, 2 6.5 MBQuartz's and 2 5.25 MBQuartz. I was hoping that someone here could give me an idea if i could integrate some of this equipment to the TJ and what recommendations they might have. Looking for a config that would be easy and not take up a lot of space. I was only looking to put only one of the Subs in the TJ but willing to accept anyone's/all advice. Want to keep as much storage space as possible and keep as stealth as possible without tearing up rear seat (Sorry SirG!!!) Possible mounting locations for AMP's...etc...you get the picture! Sorry this post was so *amn long!!

thallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 08:04 AM   #2
ncjeepinyj

I have 2 Audiobahn 10's in a down fire box behind the rear seat. Works good i think but no more room left back there. On the plus side the box is just big enough that it cant be easily stolen. It cant be lifted strait up, pulled strait out the back. Some one would have to really work to get it out and with an alarm on the jeep i doubt anyone will stick around longenough to get it.
ncjeepinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
James04TJ

I know this is not what you want to hear but unless you have a hardtop & full doors I would leave the stuff out of the Jeep. It is more of a matter of how long before it is stolen than if it will be stolen.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 05:45 AM   #4
thallex

Any other ideas?
thallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallex
I currently have some audio equipment in my civic that was installed around '97. Sorry i dont have exact model numbers of most of the equipment. There are 2 JLAudio 10w?'s, 2 MTX Thunder 280's, 2 6.5 MBQuartz's and 2 5.25 MBQuartz. I was hoping that someone here could give me an idea if i could integrate some of this equipment to the TJ and what recommendations they might have. Looking for a config that would be easy and not take up a lot of space. I was only looking to put only one of the Subs in the TJ but willing to accept anyone's/all advice. Want to keep as much storage space as possible and keep as stealth as possible without tearing up rear seat (Sorry SirG!!!) Possible mounting locations for AMP's...etc...you get the picture! Sorry this post was so *amn long!!
Sorry for what? My design is not the only way to do it.. Just one of many good choices.. Don't be sorry...

The MBQ's will swap right into the factory locations with very little modification. The head unit should also move (if you have one). Your catch will just be where/how to do the low-end. You have an amp I assume. This may or may not work with just one sub. It really depends on the type of JL sub you have. Since you plan to remove them anyhow, look on the back of the magnet. It should have a model type printed there. There are models: (Bold = current lineup)
  • 10IB4
  • 10W0 (4 & 8 OHM Versions)
  • 10W1 (4 & 8 OHM Versions)
  • 10W2
  • 10W3 (2, 4, & 6 OHM DVC Versions)
  • 10W3v2-D* (2, 4, & 6 OHM DVC Versions)
  • 10W4
  • 10W4-D4
  • 10W5-D* (4, & 8 OHM DVC Versions)
  • 10W6 (6-ohm DVC)
  • 10W6v2-D4
  • 10W6AE (6-ohm DVC)
  • 10W7

So as you can see, which one you have can really make a difference on power requirements. The smaller ones use around 50-75W while the bigger ones can take 1kW continously...

Once we figure out exactly which sub you have so we can figure up how it will be wired, then we can see if your amp will still work with just one sub. (Depending on how they were wired, the amp could be over-powering for just one...)

Once you figure out which amp you can use, then you'll have to figure out where to put it. For 10" subs without using an in-seat option, and without doing any tub modifications, you're left with only one simple method. Behind the rear seat. I do recommend building a sealed down-firing box for best effect and minimum space consumption.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.