Audio Suggestions for a soft-top Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Audio Suggestions for a soft-top Wrangler

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 03-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Burlsworth
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Audio Suggestions for a soft-top Wrangler

I have a 2000 Wrangler and i recently upgraded the speakers in the soundbar. They definitely sound better than the stock speakers. I still have the stock stereo in the dash and id like to put in a new one so i can add an amp and maybe a 10" Sub in the back. I dont know a whole lot about car audio so i was hoping i could get some suggestions on how to make the sound better. Thanks

Burlsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Definitely get an amplifier for your upgraded speakers. I'd say get the same kind of speakers you put in your soundbar, and put them up front (in a different size of course). The amp will let your music get real loud without distorting, which is essential for taking the top off in the summer.
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
turtle05LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am also looking into upgrading my audio. just purchased 6.5" and 5.25" Polk DB Marine speakers and am looking at a Fusion IP-600 head unit since it comes WITH a class D 70wx4 RMS rating so an extra amp is not needed for the 4 speakers. It has an RCA preamp channel for a sub as well. Also is a Marine Head Unit and has a watertight design for iPod placement.

http://www.fusionelectronics.com/mar...eries/MS-IP600
turtle05LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle05LJ View Post
6.5" and 5.25" Polk DB Marine speakers[/url]
That's your best option.

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com
5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
Facebook Like for a 10% Coupon Code
Connect with me on LinkedIn
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Def look at installing some dash speakers in the same brand. Amping the speakers depends on what model speakers you installed. However adding amp and a quality hu is best for topless wranglers, you shouldn't need to turn the volume up to the point of distortion. 10" sub will fill in the lows for your beach cruisin tunes. If you add a sub consider a "trunk style" enclosure that downfires and maybe use a tonneau if you don't have passengers.

While that fusion is an interesting setup it requires a custom install. I considered a similar mechanism less setup back in the day for my YJ and bought a west marine close out Jensen headunit (turned out to be a good hu for the $) since it was single din. The cost probably ends up being around the same as a mainstream hu and amp with less install effort. Alpine with the power pack is an easy comparable (altho iPod doesn't store inside).
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
turtle05LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just got a message back from Fusion as I thought the 70x4 RMS was a little wierd. It is in fact peak power do RMS is like 26-27 watts at 4 0hms and 43 watts at 2 Ohms so I think I will end up passing on that HU.

Sounded like a great idea though :-)
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
turtle05LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oh and I purchased the NALIN 5.25" speaker adapter!!
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle05LJ View Post
Oh and I purchased the NALIN 5.25" speaker adapter!!

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com
5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
Facebook Like for a 10% Coupon Code
Connect with me on LinkedIn
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
rdnck_8
2009 JK Wrangler 

I am in the same spot, to amp or not to amp. I got an 09 Unlimited, put a Kenwood hu in and the stock speakers can't handle it, gets very distorted at med volume, can barely hear it with the top off. Unless I remove all bass. So I ordered Kicker DS65.2 componets for the front and DS65 for the sound bar. Now the question is do I want an amp with them? My thought is that the speakers will handled the higher volume fine for me to hear it just fine so I am leaning towards no amp. Don't need it blaring, just want to hear it.
rdnck_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

You'll definitely want an amp for a component system.
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Amping a comp set is a good idea. Did you already have the dash tweeters in your oem setup? If so you'll probably want to run new wiring to eliminate any factory crossover that might be inline.
Unread 03-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Kurtmccormick

Hay guys i just put this years newest Kenwood model, i have infinitely speakers installed in the sound bar. Just the deck itself does a great job at powering the speakers. It wicked loud, plus i have the deck that has blue tooth capability so i can talk on the phone without hanging on the cell and shifting at the same time. It also has the out board mic so the people you talk to can actually hear you, unlike previous Bluetooth stereos. The price tag on this stereo was only three hundred, but if you look around on the internet you might be able to get it cheaper.
Kurtmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
rdnck_8
2009 JK Wrangler 

There are OEM tweeters, which is surprising since it does not have an infinity amp, but I figured to bypass any issues I will rewire direct to the hu. It a good thing I ordered them the other day cause one of the tweeters fried today.
rdnck_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtmccormick View Post
Hay guys i just put this years newest Kenwood model, i have infinitely speakers installed in the sound bar. Just the deck itself does a great job at powering the speakers. It wicked loud, plus i have the deck that has blue tooth capability so i can talk on the phone without hanging on the cell and shifting at the same time. It also has the out board mic so the people you talk to can actually hear you, unlike previous Bluetooth stereos. The price tag on this stereo was only three hundred, but if you look around on the internet you might be able to get it cheaper.
Which model is this? KIV-BT901? I have that and love it.
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Kurtmccormick

its the K D C - X996, my only problem with this is that when i stream through the blue tooth i can only hear the two front speakers working. I can't figure out why.
Kurtmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio , jeep , speakers , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.