audio suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > audio suggestions

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 04-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
nicoca427
2003 TJ Wrangler 

audio suggestions

so i have a wrangler '03 sport.... i got stock audio and was looking to make it a bit better... any suggestions from someone who has a nice audio system in their jeep?

nicoca427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Your first move should be searching in the audio portion of the forum...there are tons and tons of write ups on what people have done...anything from something as simple as just upgrading stock speakers, all the way up to some pretty sick subwoofer installs like sirGcal has done.

Take a look in the audio/electrical portion of the forum, you'll get some great tips and ideas.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
beachboy1200
1997 TJ Wrangler 

right now i simply replaced my head unit with one of the higher end sonys and replaced my four speakers with Rockford Fosgate 'Power' series speakers and i get compliments on the sound quality and volume all the time...i would definitely recommend a sub woofer
beachboy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First things first is figure out what your budget will be, then hit some local stores and listen to speakers and decide what brands you like (each ear likes a different speaker). From there it really decides how much you want to invest. As pp look for some of the recent threads onhere about upgrades.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going to do an aftermarket head unit and aftermarket speakers, I strongly suggest you spend a little more on a small amp to push those speakers.

It doesn't have to be huge. A decent 100 watt amp from a reputable company will push them well.

Adding an amp makes a huge difference in sound quality and the output level.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bar none, Hertz

They're not very well known around the US yet, at least as well known as the big name brands, but mine continue to amaze me every day I mention them on the site all the time, but I'm always overrun by the Alpine/Infinity/Polk responses
Unread 04-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
HAARUBICON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used my factory head unit, installed a 10" sub and amp off my sub channel, upgraded my soundbar speakers and I think it sounds great. If you dont have the seven speaker factory stereo, it causes problems using the factory head unit since it rolls off the low frequencys to save the small speakers, the head unit just does not send out low bass signal.
HAARUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
SirGCal

You have to pick speakers you like. Hertz might suck for your ears. So may Alpine, et al. You have to do the research yourself and find what you like. So don't listen to people who just push one brand or any brand for that matter in speakers. There are plenty of good manufacturers out there to find a good builder who has a sound you like if your up for that level of product. Every person hears differently so every speaker sounds different to each person. One person's diamond is another persons garbage... And visa-versa.

That said, you're going to be wanting a 5.25" dash upgrade. Matching 5.25" in the rear if you're running a sub. If you're not planing to amp them, get speakers rated for no more than 35W RMS. If you are planning to amp them, match the amp to the speaker at RMS and impedance. If you find a speaker you are fond of, we can help you build around that.

Subs should be 4-8x or more powerful (RMS) than the fill (non-subs). So if you're looking at a 50W set of speakers and going to run that with a 50W amp, then you'll need 200-400W or more of sub power for the proper balance, generally speaking.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
You have to pick speakers you like. Hertz might suck for your ears. So may Alpine, et al. You have to do the research yourself and find what you like. So don't listen to people who just push one brand or any brand for that matter in speakers. There are plenty of good manufacturers out there to find a good builder who has a sound you like if your up for that level of product. Every person hears differently so every speaker sounds different to each person. One person's diamond is another persons garbage... And visa-versa.

That said, you're going to be wanting a 5.25" dash upgrade. Matching 5.25" in the rear if you're running a sub. If you're not planing to amp them, get speakers rated for no more than 35W RMS. If you are planning to amp them, match the amp to the speaker at RMS and impedance. If you find a speaker you are fond of, we can help you build around that.

Subs should be 4-8x or more powerful (RMS) than the fill (non-subs). So if you're looking at a 50W set of speakers and going to run that with a 50W amp, then you'll need 200-400W or more of sub power for the proper balance, generally speaking.
Not trying to hi-jack the OP's thread, but I've heard a number of different brands and for the price, I believe 100% that Hertz can't be beat. You're a helluva lot more experienced in audio than I am, but I know that you've got to sort of "train" your ears to hear inconsistencies in sound. I was recently talking to a friend of mine about this about another member of his band, who doesn't seem to have the right "ear" yet.

I consider myself a pretty picky individual, and I know what I like (And everyone else knows what they like too). I've gotten plenty of compliments on my system, and have heard lots of higher end systems than mine with the same speakers/subs yet pushed by different head units and/or amps. they still outshine the competition IMO
Unread 04-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCleanYj View Post
Not trying to hi-jack the OP's thread, but I've heard a number of different brands and for the price, I believe 100% that Hertz can't be beat. You're a helluva lot more experienced in audio than I am, but I know that you've got to sort of "train" your ears to hear inconsistencies in sound. I was recently talking to a friend of mine about this about another member of his band, who doesn't seem to have the right "ear" yet.

I consider myself a pretty picky individual, and I know what I like (And everyone else knows what they like too). I've gotten plenty of compliments on my system, and have heard lots of higher end systems than mine with the same speakers/subs yet pushed by different head units and/or amps. they still outshine the competition IMO
Ohh, they can... Actually, Hertz, from my opinion, are OK. Better than like Alpine, but still not up to Focals. But that's my ear... Here's a better thread where I explained the differences better: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/replacement-speakers-739128/

In the end, you can have the world's three best SQ vehicles setup exactly the same just using different brand drivers go to every SQ competition. One vehicle won't win them all. This judge will hear just a little different than that one who hears just a little different than... Get the picture? Pretty much, no two ears are alike. And for ever person that likes my Focals or your Hertz, I can show you ten people who hate them. It's all because it's just tooooooo personal an item. There will never be a 'this speaker is #1' unless they are refering to a bench test and not the human ear. Because actually what most of the highest end SQ people like, the general public people don't. They find it to bland or too empty because their hearing is half shot and they can't hear the high-frequencies as well or they have a hollow spot in their ear's response or something. 100001 reasons to have imperfect hearing (even mine's not perfect, though my ear doctor would tend to disagree with me).

So, the best way to go about it is not to say 'Hertz (or Focals) are the best'. Instead, be accurate and say 'I really appreciate the sound of Hertz and/or Focals (or whatever brand) but you need to go listen to them yourself to see what you think. Or even just 'I really appreciate the sound of Hertz.' It might seem like a small difference but it's the difference between being ignored by most people because they think your trotting wares touting the #1 whatever, or being taken seriously. I like Hertz too, and Focals... But they are not for everyone. Honestly, they are not for most people.

Plus, they aren't simply in everyone's price range... Budget is more important then just sound or even I wouldn't ever use other brands than my absolute favorites.

Lastly, anyone who is picky about sound and buys a speaker without at least getting a listen to some of the manufacturer's offering first is about as senseless as someone who buys a used car without a test drive.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
Ohh, they can... Actually, Hertz, from my opinion, are OK. Better than like Alpine, but still not up to Focals. But that's my ear... Here's a better thread where I explained the differences better: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739128

In the end, you can have the world's three best SQ vehicles setup exactly the same just using different brand drivers go to every SQ competition. One vehicle won't win them all. This judge will hear just a little different than that one who hears just a little different than... Get the picture? Pretty much, no two ears are alike. And for ever person that likes my Focals or your Hertz, I can show you ten people who hate them. It's all because it's just tooooooo personal an item. There will never be a 'this speaker is #1' unless they are refering to a bench test and not the human ear. Because actually what most of the highest end SQ people like, the general public people don't. They find it to bland or too empty because their hearing is half shot and they can't hear the high-frequencies as well or they have a hollow spot in their ear's response or something. 100001 reasons to have imperfect hearing (even mine's not perfect, though my ear doctor would tend to disagree with me).

So, the best way to go about it is not to say 'Hertz (or Focals) are the best'. Instead, be accurate and say 'I really appreciate the sound of Hertz and/or Focals (or whatever brand) but you need to go listen to them yourself to see what you think. Or even just 'I really appreciate the sound of Hertz.' It might seem like a small difference but it's the difference between being ignored by most people because they think your trotting wares touting the #1 whatever, or being taken seriously. I like Hertz too, and Focals... But they are not for everyone. Honestly, they are not for most people.

Plus, they aren't simply in everyone's price range... Budget is more important then just sound or even I wouldn't ever use other brands than my absolute favorites.

Lastly, anyone who is picky about sound and buys a speaker without at least getting a listen to some of the manufacturer's offering first is about as senseless as someone who buys a used car without a test drive.
Good point

I have to agree, they aren't the cheapest speaker, but even their lower end lines (Energy, and I think there's one more...) are still pretty impressive.

I've only had the chance to hear Focals in a few different rigs and I'll admit they are really impressive, but I haven't heard anyone blast some hard. fast rock/metal through them. The thing I like about Hertz' is that they aren't nearly as bright as other brands I've heard, while still being crystal clear. But some people like those ear-piercing mids/highs

Just curious, which line of Hertz have you heard? Were they components/coax? Had a chance to hear their subs before? I don't want to seem like I'm pushing them anymore than I already have in this thread But the Energy 10's are some very impressive woofers.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.