audio/subwoofer suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > audio/subwoofer suggestions

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 09-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
ttony
1997 TJ Wrangler 

audio/subwoofer suggestions

I just picked up a 97 wrangler - its my first wrangler, but not my first jeep (Ive had cherokees before).

Anyhow, for audio right now, I have a crappy JVC deck, stock front speakers (which seem worthless), and a soundbard with 2 kenwood speakers.

Im looking into upgrading my audio setup - but want something that makes sense for a wrangler. Im also fine with a middle of the road audio setup - something decent, that wont break the bank.

Ive been considering this deck: Pioneer DEH-P3200UB - does anyone have any experience with it? It's gotten some decent reviews at Crutchfield.

Im going to replace the front speakers - Polk makes a waterproof replacement plate speaker for this - has anyone used these?

Also, I want to add a subwoofer - and had a question about placement - is it a lot better to have it in the center console than under the rear seat or in the back? Im just wondering if it is worth getting a tuffy replacement console, (or is there another good console with subwoofer setup for TJ's?). I realize it will make less of a difference in the winter when the hardtop is on - but in the summer I plan to have the top off most of the time.

Im sure these are pretty novice questions, but Im just getting my feet wet with the wrangler, and dont want to waste a lot of time/money experimenting!

I appreciate any suggestions - looks like theres a lot of experienced people, and some pro's here on the forum.

Thanks!

ttony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

I will probably state some obvious things as i go

I haven't used that specific pioneer, but i've used many others over the years and I like the simplicity. Flashier head units are more likely to attract thieves as well. I use a DEH-P6000UB. If you intend to add amps for all speakers try and get one that has 3 preamp outputs.

Polk speakers are good, You can find them in many sizes and power ranges. I have some high end that require more power. If you don't intend to amp the speakers aim for their lower power rated ones (35WRMS and less). Marine rated is a perk, but you want to use something like electrical contact silicone on the back to prevent water getting behind your dash and shorting the leads together.

Sub all depends on preferences. There are some good console ones that will keep it close to help with road noise/top off. SirGCal's website has some info on putting 1 sub in the back seat. This will allow you to get a bit bigger sub with more power, plus downfiring to cope with the top down.

I personally built a box for 2 10's behind my back seat, amps below the seat. I have plenty of power to beat road noise on the interstate with the top and doors off. These of course are downfiring as well.

I've heard of people getting 2 12's to fit but i've never actually seen it done. I would also avoid "truck boxes" that will have the sub facing your back seat as the seat will absorb and deflect all the bass when the top is off.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
ttony
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Demp - thanks for the info, and the lead on SirGCal's site, Im going to check it out now.

One issues Im wrestling with is whether I want to have a sub box behind the seat - I'd kinda of rather leave that room for other things....
ttony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

I admit I sometime's miss that extra space for a toolbag and recovery gear. The recovery gear doesn't stay with me and the toolbag is small enough i just stick it behind my driver seat. Nobody rides in the back and i've debated destroying my seat to make a flat box to stick my stuff in.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
TNeustadt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the tuffy console w/ a JL audio 8" sub in it. It does ok, could probably do better if I'd somehow seal the sub enclosure. Also, put 5 ch amp under drivers seat. I too did not want to lose what little storage space the Wrangler has.
TNeustadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
AppFan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I went with Polks when I replaced mine. Very happy with them. I put a Kicker CVT sub in the factory center console, sounds good and marine rated like the rest of my speakers so I feel a little better about that. Though a sub that points in a different direction would have more effect.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.