Audio Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Audio Questions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-04-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
belmor

Audio Questions

I have a 2004 Wrangler X with factory CD/ 4spkr system, i have been reading the posts on head unit replacement but its really not in my budget right now and i actually like the larger buttons and "dont steal me" look of the factory HU, If i replaced all the speakers with 5 1/4's and then got a probox 2X10" box and a 5-channel amp would this set up work well? Also the box it set up for 2 10's, would it be possible to block one hole and run the on planet audio 10" i have for a while, the box is ported but i dont know if it would be too big for one 10"? my budget is around $500-$600 and i can get in this set up for around that any help you can give is appreciated!
Ben

belmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
SirGCal

Boxes really depend on the sub and vehicle specifics. Can you block one hole in a 2x 10" shared-chamber box, no... I mean you could but it wouldn't work cause the box would be WAY too large for just one sub. It would not be a good thing to do, for sound or the sub...

but can you run everything off of a 5 channel amp and the factory head unit? Sure, easy... The only catch is to get subs that fit in the power level of the amp's sub channel. Once you get an amp in mind, we could go into more detail...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
belmor

I have a planet audio P110 10" that was in a bandpass in my Z28, its a good sub, the box on http://www.proboxrocks.com/dodge/jeepwrangler.shtml look like its a sealed dual side box as it lists .85 cu ft per side
The amp i am considering is an MTX blue thunder pro500X5 looks like 25W rms per channel at 4ohms with 100 sub rms at 4 ohms or possibly a sony xplode XM-5150GSX which seems to have a little more RMS power
Thanks
Ben
Unread 04-04-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
belmor

Here are the specs on my sub:
P110/P110DVC 10" Subwoofer
Power Handling (Peak) 300 Watts
Power Handling (Continuous) 150 Watts
Frequency Response 30 Hz to 2500 Hz
Efficiency (1 Watt /1 Meter) 90 dB
Impedance 4 Ohm/Dual 4 Ohm
2" Aluminum Voice Coils
Magnet Structure 40 oz.
Mounting Depth 4-3/8"

Ben
Unread 04-04-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
SirGCal

The problem there is that the box doesn't match the speakers...

PlanetAudio recommends a sealed box of .55 ft^3 and ported of 1.1 ft^3 with 3" x 7.25" round port. .85 ft^3 is probably going to be too much for that sub... You could try.. it will go alot lower than the .55 box but not put out near the SPL and will likely be really punchy in one tight frequency range. It will also not handle as much power... (with sealed boxes, the larger they go, the lower they go, but less power they can handle...

Actually, .85 is alot of room for many 10" subs... alot of them go from .4 - .7 ft^3. Some do go up to 1+ ft^3 though so there are some out there for ya.. I don't have time right now to look but Kenwoods I know have some that like the 1 ft^3 range so they might have something around .85 also... (Just thinking off the top of my head...)

I can check better later this week if you're still interested... You could try the PA's too and see how they work.. Some subs are lax on their real requirements than others. I never used PA hardware myself in an off-spec setup so I can't say...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 04-04-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
belmor

I suppose i will have to decide the best way to go with my budget, the only thing is i already have the sub, but the bandpass its in will not work because the box will not fit behind the rear seat, maybe i can get a box made for the 10" that will work better for about the same money i am open to suggestions for my budget if you have any
thanks
Ben
Unread 04-05-2004, 07:19 AM   #7
belmor

SirGcal:
Let me know how this would work:
Clarion DXZ445 $130.00
Probox box: $159
2 X10" Kenwood Speakers $100~
2 pair of good 5 1/4 Speakers (polk, infinity etc.) ~$150
Run 5 1/4's off HU and the subs off a 150 Orion red I have puts me in at: $539.00 + installation which will only be the HU and Amp as i will do the rest of the speakers
Sound like a decent setup?
Thanks
Ben
Unread 04-05-2004, 08:23 AM   #8
Huebie

Have you thought of installing the system yourself? If you purchase your components through crutchfield they incluse all the harnesses, adapters and instructions. I installed my entire system in a couple of hours and saved a lot of money. If you think of going that way let me know and I can save you $20 off your order.
Matt
Huebie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 08:27 AM   #9
belmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huebie
Have you thought of installing the system yourself? If you purchase your components through crutchfield they incluse all the harnesses, adapters and instructions. I installed my entire system in a couple of hours and saved a lot of money. If you think of going that way let me know and I can save you $20 off your order.
Matt
I may consider installing the head unit but not the amp, i have aboslutely no patience and WILL break something trying to do all that wiring, i might would install the HU and leave the RCA cables out the back of the dash and let the stereo shop hide them when they do the amp, i want a clean install with no wires showing and i do not have the patience to do it myself, i am going to get the HU from crutchfield since they include the harness and kit, let me know about that $20-how long is it good for?
Thanks
Ben
Unread 04-05-2004, 09:06 AM   #10
Huebie

Concealing the wires for the amp is really easy in a Jeep because the carpeting comes up very easy and in sections. If you want to have it installed though go for it. I just installed a Clarion DZX535 head unit, Polk speakers and Alpine amp in my TJ and love it.

I'll send you a PM tomorrow with the discount code. I'm at work and don't have it right now.

Let me know if I can help in any other ways.

Matt
Huebie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 09:18 AM   #11
belmor

Matt,
Thanks you can im me the code here or at my yahoo im which should be listed on my profile,
Thanks for the info
Ben
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #12
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmor
SirGcal:
Let me know how this would work:
Clarion DXZ445 $130.00
Probox box: $159
2 X10" Kenwood Speakers $100~
2 pair of good 5 1/4 Speakers (polk, infinity etc.) ~$150
Run 5 1/4's off HU and the subs off a 150 Orion red I have puts me in at: $539.00 + installation which will only be the HU and Amp as i will do the rest of the speakers
Sound like a decent setup?
Thanks
Ben
I don't have the specs on that amp so I can't say for sure. But the rest is probably ok.

As for using your existing sub, if it's specs are close to that of the one I listed earlier, it would be easy to build a box for them. Just build a sealed enclosure with about .6 ft^3 of internal volume and plop the sub in. If it sounds too tight, put some poly-fill in the box and it will loosten up a little and increase low-extension.

This would leave you alot more room in the back than the pro-box for storage. And any compitent custom shop should be able to build the box for you very inexpensively due to the extremely simple design. Just FYI...

Quote:
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #13
belmor

Thanks for the info SirGcal I bid on a probox on ebay, if i dont win it i will look for a shop that will build one, there are only a couple here that don't sell probox for the convenice of it, hopefully i can get this one on ebay for less that $100 shipped, we will see
Thanks
Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.