Audio Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Audio Questions

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG4th of July Military Discount! (Active: July 2 - 16, 2014)Currie RockJock Products!!

Unread 06-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
TheWombaT

Audio Questions

First off, ill give you all some info:

Vehicle: 2001 XJ 4.0 - non Infinity system
Headunit: Alpine CDA-9847
Subwoofer: 2x Alpine Type-E
Amplifier: Kenwood KAC-7202

Now I want to add:
Front Speakers: Polk Audio db6500 - 6.5" Component system
Rear Speakers: Polk db525 - 5.25" 2-Way system

My questions are
1) Will this sound horrible powered only by the Headunit?
2) Will the 5.25" in the rear be so overpowered by the 6.5" Front Components?
3) Am I better off with something else?

Stock speakers are starting to go and I want better sound. Stock speakers are really distorting a lot.

Now there is a chance I will buy all this now then at a later date decide to get an amp for them.

Unread 06-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
mylt1

your gonna need an amp. that deck is only 18w rms and the speakers are 5.25= 4-45w rms(max) 6.5= 10-100w rms(max). technacaly you could run them but they will sound like crap untill you put an amp to them to get them to sound like they should.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
TheWombaT

So I want atleast 45w x 4 rms amp

Is there something I could buy better than stock which can run off Headunit and not another amp?
Unread 06-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
mylt1

i would change everything over the the same speaker. either all 5.25's or make some trim rings and make it all 6.5's. but thats just me. im not a big fan of mismatched speakers. either new speakers and amp or find some speakers that are up to 35w rms and run them off the deck.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Superfloyd
2008 JK Wrangler 

I wanted to see if anyone had any comments about my plans for the stereo in my 00 Sahara...

Head Unit:
I am planning on buying the Alpine CDA-9856. I have an 40G iPod that I want to use with the stereo, but I don't want to use the Alpine controls for it. I do however want to be able to charge the iPod and play it throught the head unit without FM modulation or a tape adapter. I see that there is a cable that connects from the Ai-net connector on the back of the Alpine to the iPod bottom connector. This acts as my aux-in and charges the iPod, and I can still use the controls on the iPod. If anyone has tried this, let me know. Also, does anyone think that there is much of a difference with the amps that are in the aftermarket head units from one brand to another?

Front Speakers
I agree with the comments regarding the 4x6 front speakers. There are adapter plates that allow you to mount a round 5.25" in the front factory locations. I am going to purchase the adapter plates from Ebay. You can find 2 different types of these if you search on "jeep speaker adapter". I think I am going to buy the metal ones.

I am not sure if I will choose the Infinity Reference 5012i or the Polk db525. I want to run the fronts and soundbar speakers from the head unit and add 1 10" sealed sub in the back. I thought about running a 5.25" component set, but I am concerned about running it from deck power.

Soundbar Speakers
I measured the opening for the stock soundbar. The cutout is 5" and the hole to hole diagonal is 5.5". This means that I can fit a 6.5" speaker. I was planning on choosing the Infinity Reference 6012i or Polk db650. Either way I plan to match the fronts and soundbar brands/product line. i.e. all Infinity or all 4 Polk

Subwoofer:
I was planning on a sealed 10" behind the rear seat. I was also planning on mounting the amp to the sub box. I want to be able to remove the sub box and the amp. I plan on using a large connector to allow me to disconnect battery, ground, and remote easily from the amp. Ideally, I could just unplug a large 3 wire connector (batt, gnd, rem), and unplug the 2 RCA's from the amp, and remove my sub and amp.

Questions:
-Has anyone heard any of these speakers mounted in a Jeep and running from deck power?

-When building a sealed enclosure for a single 10" sub, does anyone have any recommendations for the direction of the sub? i.e. If I place the sub box behind the rear seat,... should the sub face forward, toward the rear, upward, or downward?
Superfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Superfloyd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wombat,
-If you are running subs you won't be asking for much bass out of the fronts and rear speakers. You may get enough mid's and highs out of them to get away with "no amp".

-With setting a sound stage, you want to over power your rear speakers with the fronts. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

I had a 00 Cherokee and I replaced the speaker with some very cheap closeouts from the internet. Even these were an improvement over the stock speakers. I don't remember being able to use 6.5" speaker in the front though. No matter what you do, stuff some polyfill or insulation behing the rear speakers that are on the roof, and in the doors.
Superfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
TheWombaT

I have the normal speakers bass set to very low, I dont care about their bass levels. All Im looking for is the nice mid and high ranges.
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
jkirkku

I ran my last two cars with an aftermarket deck, all of the bass turned out of the stock speakers, and subs. sounded good. Upgraded speakers will sound better. Amping those speakers would sound even better. Crap and best are all in your head. There is always someone out there with a stereo better, louder, cleaner, more expensive than you. I think they would sound find for a while off of HU power. If you dont like it after a while hook up an amp when you can afford it and all wiring. If you miss the bass get yourself a small sub setup. Also if you feel the rear are overpowered by the front you can always use fader controls on the HU. This can correct some of that problem and it will sound good based on your taste.

Just re-read and realized you had an amp and subs already. I think if you get them and program all the bass out of them then you will like it. Also wiring will be easier with one amp already installed.
jkirkku is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.