Audio Options in the Jeep..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Audio Options in the Jeep.....

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 06-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
IH8ROADZ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Audio Options in the Jeep.....

Im looking to expand the "audio output" in the jeep. I love my music and with summer here I want to have a very loud and unique audio system in my jeep. I was looking into soundbars but i came across tower speakers. The kind that you use on a boat for something like a wakeboard tower. Has anyone ever done this or have experience with these. I feel like they would be super loud if they are made for a person behind a boat to hear. Im looking to put 5-1/4" speakers in front, a kenwood headunit, possibly wake board speakers on the roll bar and then two 15" subs in back. Any help would be great.

IH8ROADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
mattyp1214
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I upgraded all the speakers in mine and added a custom made box in the back with two 10" alpines. Amp fits perfectly under the back seat. Any larger than 10" good luck mine is a tight/perfect fit
Colorado Jeep Club member #187
mattyp1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Jonman03
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ha wrong car for 2 15" subs. It may not even fit, and if it does, wont have any room for anything else. And can't go off roading without any gear...

University of Pittsburgh
Jonman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonman03 View Post
Ha wrong car for 2 15" subs. It may not even fit, and if it does, wont have any room for anything else. And can't go off roading without any gear...
i dont think hes worried about going off road. 2 15's will fit but you would have to give up your back seats. as far as the pods, they will overpower the system and sound like crap.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
SirGCal

Just weight your priorities. If you're going to do something over the top like that, stealth goes out the window. It could get ripped off easily enough. Topless water damage could also be a concern with a setup like that.

As for the boat speakers, problem there is design. Those are designed to project back to the skier. The won't sound as good right in your face. Plus their hang-down effect will inhibit interior room. Personally I think it would look more like something that was patched together from spare parts than a planned system simply due to the original intent of the products but that's just me.

But you need to pick your priorities. Stealth, Looks, sound, etc. Do you want the rear seat? Lose it? How much storage, etc.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also what is your budget for this project? You're saying 15's cause they're big, people think big sound big sub, but if your budget is large you may be able to get a high end 10 or 12" sub that will outperform a cheaper 15" and end up being stealth b/c it now fits behind the rear seat.

How much of this work are you doing yourself? Making boxes? Will there be fiberglass?
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
spatulahunter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It doesnt take a lot of sub to get pretty loud in a jeep. IMO you would probably be happier with a real good 12 of a set of tens. they take up a lot less room and give you a tighter frequency response. To each their own but to me anything above a 12 is better suited for an spl comp or a hoop d. You will get better sound (but less spl) if you look at something a little smaller
spatulahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #8
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Based on what you state in your original post, you know absolutely NOTHING except you want loud and cool.

So, find a competent local car audio shop, tell them what you want it to look/sound like (forget cool, your car stereo will not get you laid, at best it'll get you a noise ticket and a busted window when it gets stolen).

They hand them the keys, let them do a full custom install, and fork over several grand.

Otherwise:
A head unit with built in crossover, and 40w/channel or so rating, and ask someone who knows how to tune the crossover. I like my Sony, cost under 200.
Sound bar (stock is fine, avoid the one with the 'aircraft' lights in it, it buzzes) with good quality 6.5 coax speakers. Maybe 150 with Pioneer or Kenwood mid line.
Single or dual 10" sub box with name brand drivers. That fits behind the seat, or 12s if you are willing to permanantly remove the rear seat. 150 to 1000, higher end for dual/12s.
QUALITY amp like Rockford Fosgate or similar that put out around 200 to 400 RMS and is CEA 2006 compliant rated. Starting price 150 on up to truly stupid, especially if you let someone tell you you need 1000 RMS.

it'll cost you a grand or so with careful budget, 2 grand if you drop it off and let the audio shop pick excessively expensive components, far more if you decide a DVD player is an appropriate in-dash item in a Jeep. (HINT - it's not.)

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Florida_Model
2002 TJ Wrangler 

IF you want some advice, I LOVE music, I am a DJ. so upgrading the stereo was a huge concern for me. I think if you step back and plan it out a little more you can come up with a stout system that isnt going to crush your budget and you will love. and DO THE INSTALL YOURSELF. you will appreciate it more. This is going to be my personal setup and ive tweaked the system SEVERAL(more like 20) times as new ideas have come to me. but my whole system was based on being stealth and keeping as much space as possible.

Alpine iDA-X100 Media Receiver Headunit $250 [just awesome. lol]
Alpine KTP-445 Micro Amp Power Pack $130 [45wRMSx4ch]
Alpine MRP-M500 Mono Block Amp $170 [500wRMS @2ohm]
6 or 10 Disc CD Changer (either factory or Alpine)
Alpine SPS-500 5 1/4 2way Coax Speakers $25 [55wRMS]
Alpine SPS-600 6 1/2 2way Coax Speakers $30 [65wRMS i think?]
2 Memphis 10" S Class Shallow Mount Subs for Stealth Box $340 [300wRMS]
------------------------------
Total $945 not including price of wiring or SirGCal stealth box

and thats me switching from stackable amps to the powerpack and more affordable monoblock, also switching from Type-Rs to Type-Ss.

basically. think it through then ask questions. and x2 on the noise violation tickets!!!
Unread 06-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
Florida_Model
2002 TJ Wrangler 

oh and to clarify. i love all music, but i am a rock DJ. my system sees more Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed then Lil' Wayne or Snoopy Dogg.
Unread 06-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Model View Post
IF you want some advice, I LOVE music, I am a DJ. so upgrading the stereo was a huge concern for me. I think if you step back and plan it out a little more you can come up with a stout system that isnt going to crush your budget and you will love. and DO THE INSTALL YOURSELF. you will appreciate it more. This is going to be my personal setup and ive tweaked the system SEVERAL(more like 20) times as new ideas have come to me. but my whole system was based on being stealth and keeping as much space as possible.

Alpine iDA-X100 Media Receiver Headunit $250 [just awesome. lol]
Alpine KTP-445 Micro Amp Power Pack $130 [45wRMSx4ch]
Alpine MRP-M500 Mono Block Amp $170 [500wRMS @2ohm]
6 or 10 Disc CD Changer (either factory or Alpine)
Alpine SPS-500 5 1/4 2way Coax Speakers $25 [55wRMS]
Alpine SPS-600 6 1/2 2way Coax Speakers $30 [65wRMS i think?]
2 Memphis 10" S Class Shallow Mount Subs for Stealth Box $340 [300wRMS]
------------------------------
Total $945 not including price of wiring or SirGCal stealth box

and thats me switching from stackable amps to the powerpack and more affordable monoblock, also switching from Type-Rs to Type-Ss.

basically. think it through then ask questions. and x2 on the noise violation tickets!!!
You don't need the 6.5's in the soundbar when you are adding a sub...if anything it will take away from the sound quality of the system
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Florida_Model
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
You don't need the 6.5's in the soundbar when you are adding a sub...if anything it will take away from the sound quality of the system
Eh, I like my music a little on the bassy side. And they'll be fine for the 6hr trips home when I turn the subs off and don't want pounding bass.
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

My setup is like this Alpine iDA-X200 head unit, One 10" Rockford Fosgate P3 Slim Sub, cheap sub enclosure, and a Rockford Fosgate P300-1 Amp. I don't know the wattage on any of the crap and don't really care. I just know it sounds great, even with the sub mounted on the inside of the tail gate (yes, double bolted) and under the tonno cover. The plan is to move the sub and amp to a more water proof location under, closer to the cab once my soft top comes in.

But I didn't want my "system" to be loud and obnoxious, I just wanted more depth to my music. The stock speakers and soundbar were not cutting it for me.

Sold: 2000 TJ - D44/D30 with 4.88s, Advance Adapters SYE, Tom Woods CV, Vanco Big Brake kit, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, ProComp Series 51s, Rough Country 4" Series II, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Currie HD Steering, Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms, ProComp Adjustable Trackbar, Currie Anti-Rock, MetalCloak Front Bumper and Stinger, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier
djfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
IH8ROADZ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heres my end result for an audio system.

Headunit will be a: Kenwood KVT-512
Dumb it Down A lot on Subs that way I can run a full tuffy drawer in the back. Im going to be running a MTX X ThunderLink XT110P bolted to the rear of the tuffy drawer facing the driver and passenger.
I have 4X6 infinity kappa's in the dash already. I might put 5 1/4" speakers in the tuffy wheel well boxes. Then fill the soundbar with infinity component speakers. Run a 4 way amp to the the soundbar and the rear 5 1/4" speakers. The subs has a built in amp.Lemme know what you guys think.
IH8ROADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
mylt1

more speakers do not= better sound. that thunder link isnt gonna provide much bass facing the front. you need to mount it so its firing down into the tub.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.